Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subliminal87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
I’m going to pick up a MBA whenever they have the education sale however I’m just curious if anyone else has trades in their Mac mini for a MacBook Air.

My Mac mini is basically a back up device. I love Mac and this Mac mini was for whenever I just wanted to jump on and not play games.

I’ve been jumping on my windows rig more often and not and I think I’ve turned on my mini maybe 2 times in 6 months?

I paid $499 for it and they’re offering $310. Is it worth trading it in towards my MBA or should I just keep it as a just in case rig?

Side note, I really like the mini except for the way it displays font on webpages in every browser. I have it connected to two displays that are 1080 and going to any website the text is blurryish and gives me a headache after awhile.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
This is not responsive to your questions, but try turning font smoothing off:

Or with Terminal:
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 0
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 1
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 2
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 3
defaults -currentHost delete -g AppleFontSmoothing

Subliminal87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
This is not responsive to your questions, but try turning font smoothing off:

Or with Terminal:
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 0
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 1
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 2
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 3
defaults -currentHost delete -g AppleFontSmoothing
I’m gonna give this a try. I’d keep it for sure if that fixes it lol.

Fiona FTW

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2022
I paid $499 for it and they’re offering $310. Is it worth trading it in towards my MBA or should I just keep it as a just in case rig?
Especially since you don't use the mini much that is a no-brainer to me. That is an amazing trade-in value and, worst case, if you need a mini again in the future I think you'll be able to find one for $499 again and probably faster too. Combine the $319 trade-in with the $150 "back to school" GC and it's like you had a free mini rental. But the bottom line here is why keep a computer around "just in case" when it has good trade in value. Computers don't age well.

Subliminal87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2015
Especially since you don't use the mini much that is a no-brainer to me. That is an amazing trade-in value and, worst case, if you need a mini again in the future I think you'll be able to find one for $499 again and probably faster too. Combine the $319 trade-in with the $150 "back to school" GC and it's like you had a free mini rental. But the bottom line here is why keep a computer around "just in case" when it has good trade in value. Computers don't age well.
Yeah very true. It looks like if I want to trade it in for the MacBook. I’ll have to go trade it in now and add the gift card to my account. Then buy the MacBook with the installments once that education sale starts.

If I was buying the base version I could just go do everything the day of.

Edit:

Just read you can’t split online orders like that. Looks like it’s a sign to keep it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.