Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the second betas of iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 to developers for testing, and one notable change is that SharePlay has now been enabled in FaceTime, allowing for two users on the latest beta to share their screens to view apps together and more.

ios-15-beta-2-screen-sharing.jpg

SharePlay allows users to share experiences while connecting with friends and family on FaceTime, such as watching an Apple TV+ show in sync. SharePlay is functional in the Apple TV and Apple Music apps as of the second beta of iOS 15.

shareplay-apple-tv-app.jpg

According to Jordi Bruin, the developer of a new Navi app that will bring subtitles and translation to FaceTime calls, Apple has also started accepting apps that use the GroupActivities framework through App Store Connect, meaning third-party apps offering SharePlay integration will likely be available in beta through TestFlight soon.

As a developer beta, iOS 15 is officially only available to those enrolled in the Apple Developer Program, which costs $99 per year. A free public beta will be available in July, and the software update will be released in the fall.

Article Link: SharePlay Enabled in Second Beta of iOS 15

Last edited:

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Shareplay sounds awesome. I sometimes get questions from clients about how to do something in an app. I usually just do a screenshare from a desktop/laptop and run the app in the simulator and show them. Now, I can just have them share their screen and I can walk them through or show my screen and show them without having to get to a computer.

I hope there are some scaling options for when someone shares from iPad to iPhone.

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Rambo said SharePlay was already in the 1st beta (the api, just no app for it)

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
This looks like a great feature, though there will always be a place for alternatives. Sometimes the value of a screen sharing tool depends mostly on whether or not it cares about copyright.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
My wife and I are apart for about 1-2 months out of the year. This will be a PERFECT way to connect when we're apart – I'm actually super excited about it.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Cool feature. Too bad this only works in FaceTime. Outside the US, features limited to Apple platforms are not that big.

I also notice the wording of features and descriptions get more and more convoluted. “TV may be able to determine who uses SharePlay together in the app.” I’m not sure average users know what this means.

Reactions: brucemr

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Can't wait to find out what developers are going to come up with.

Pure Creativity.
I think this what people are missing. Apple showed their take on what it can do today, but shareplay itself is an API…one that will become a cornerstone of the crazy AR future Apple is clearly building ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.