Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misterminibus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Isle of Man
I am running Ventura on a 2012 MBP with Opencore Patcher and it's become very sluggish, I have ran some maintenance which hasn't helped.
I have noted a program called RM which was active in the startup list from an unidentified developer.
Is this a genuine program that we need or is it unwanted, it's located at Settings-General-Login Items-RM.
Do I leave it or delete it, if I delete it how would I do that, any help would be welcomed.
Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 06.49.56.png
Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 06.50.22.png

philwj

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
Saw someone else ask same question over in reddit a couple of months ago here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenCoreLegacyPatcher/comments/1ca714g/_/l1dnjfu Seems it's related to OCLP but couldn't fid out any more.
I've been wondering the same thing.
It doesnt show up on my OCLP'd Mac Pro, but it does show up in my OCLP'd MacBook.
would be good to find out as I dont like weird stuff like that appearing. I know OCLP can put other bits and pieces there but at least I can find out about those with google searches, no luck with this 'RM' so far though.
I believe rm is also some sort of unix exec command so maybe OCLP is doing something with that command. I think it's for removing stuff.

Reactions: misterminibus

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Nobody had the curiosity to look inside the plist responsible and see what rm is used for?

"rm, unlink – remove directory entries
The rm utility attempts to remove the non-directory type files specified on the command line. If the permissions of the file do not permit writing, and the standard input device is a terminal, the user is prompted (on the standard error output) for confirmation."

The plist might be in /Library/LaunchDaemons, /Library/LaunchAgents or ~/Library/LaunchAgents

https://support.apple.com/guide/terminal/apdc6c1077b-5d5d-4d35-9c19-60f2397b2369/mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.