Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tywebb13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
You can make a Sequoia bootable USB installer by first formatting a 32GB or 64GB usb as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and naming it Untitled.

After downloading the Sequoia Beta 1 installer (which so far is nameless, even though we now know it has the name Sequoia) you can run this in Terminal to make the bootable USB:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 15\ beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

The command for future betas will probably change to

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sequoia\ beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

and then with public release (or even release candidates) to

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sequoia.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

To get the full installer for beta 1 you can search the sucatalogs for InstallAssistant.pkg and look for ProductID 052-49060 to get the link.

To verify the link you can change the g at the end of it to m and download the pkm file, open in textedit and you will see

….version="24.0.5264.14”….

How to read this is that the second number 0,1,2, … etc stands for A,B,C, etc and the fourth number 1,2,3, etc stands for a,b,c, etc.

They will drop the fourth number for release candidates and public releases. Such numbers are only for the betas.

So the second number 0 is A and the fourth number 14 is n and hence the build number is 24A5264n

Just be aware that future betas will have different Product IDs.

The beta 1 installer icon looks like this:
Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 8.45.09 am.png

EDIT: I originally said 16GB or 32 GB usb but some have said the 16 won't work

EDIT 2: The beta 2 has capital B in "Beta" so the command for beta 2 is

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sequoia\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
When finished the terminal output looks like this:

$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ 15\ beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled
Password:
Ready to start.
To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Untitled.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y
Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%
Copying essential files...
Copying the macOS RecoveryOS...
Making disk bootable...
Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%... 100%
Install media now available at "/Volumes/Install macOS 15 beta"
$

Then your USB will look like this:

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 12.51.24 pm.png

and in the Startup Manager the installer looks like this:
Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 12.55.46 pm.png

Then after booting up from this you see this:
restore from sequoia usb.png

and then you can install sequoia by clicking on Install macOS 15 beta and then Continue

Last edited:
Reactions: thewebgal

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
Just one warm tip: this can be only done on a macOS Sequoia compatible Mac as the Beta app won't run on unsupported device.

Reactions: killawat

KRBM

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Amsterdam
How did you manage to get the "Install macOS 15 beta.app" file? I tried to obtain it via a System Settings update, but this .app didn't appear for me in the Applications folder.

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
Reactions: KRBM

tywebb13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Future InstallAssistant.pkg links will originate from the sucatalogs and if you look there first you won't have to wait for some dude to post the link somewhere else.

Here are the Sequoia sucatalogs - InstallAsssistant.pkg build 24A5264n with Product ID 052-49060 is so far only in the developer seed and customer seed

They will be easier to find from the system-specific sucatalogs rather than the more complicated merged ones

For beta 1 just search for "InstallAssistant.pkg" or "052-49060". The Product ID is actually part of the link and in the case where there are several InstallAssistant.pkgs, this will identify which one it is. Future betas will have different Product IDs.

If you want to actually download the sucatalog rather than just view it online, you may delete the .gz extension.

Developer Seed

Customer Seed (appleseed)

Public Seed (public beta)

https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-15beta-1.sucatalog.gz (empty so far)

Public Release

Just be aware that occasionally some updates may be OTA only, hence no InstallAssistant.pkg

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Another way is to run something like this in Terminal

It will display the build and link in Terminal:

Code:
for file in $(curl -# https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-15seed-1.sucatalog | grep com_apple_MobileAsset_MacSoftwareUpdate.plist | grep -Evw '(com_apple_MobileAsset_MacSoftwareUpdate.plist.integrityDataV1|InstallInfo.plist)' | sed -e s/"<string>"//g -e s/"<\/string>"//g -e s/\ //g); do
    curl -# $file | egrep -EA 1 '(>Build<|OSVersion)' | sed -e s/"<string>"//g -e s/"<\/string>"//g -e s/\ //g | sed -e s/"<key>"//g -e s/"<\/key>"//g -e s/\ //g
    echo $file | sed -e "s/com_apple_MobileAsset_MacSoftwareUpdate.plist/InstallAssistant.pkg/g"
done

The code is a bit messy.

Maybe the code can be tidied up later.

But it works!

Franco Borgo

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2010
From the App Store , I downloaded Sonoma, then installed it on the external drive. Then boot on external drive, and ask for the beta of Sequoia and installed it from there. no problem at all

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
Just one more tip. For PC or Mac users who don't have an eligible device to create a macOS 15 Sequoia bootable USB, please download the macOS 15 dmg file and flash to a USB drive. Check out this quick guide to get started.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, current 15 installer won't fit on that 16GB flash drive. Installer will fit in 17 GB partition, for now.
I suspect that coming betas will not be smaller again.

tywebb13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Yes, current 15 installer won't fit on that 16GB flash drive. Installer will fit in 17 GB partition, for now.
I suspect that coming betas will not be smaller again.
ok i'd edit the original post to be 32 or 64

I put mine on a 32

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
ok i'd edit the original post to be 32 or 64
macOS in the past year have been marginal on 16GB flash depending on the exact size - working on some, but not others. So I have not been surprised by Sequoia problems with 16GB. When I tried building a 16GB Disk Image, the createinstallmedia command said that I needed an extra ~1.7GB (from memory - 2 days ago).

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
macOS in the past year have been marginal on 16GB flash depending on the exact size - working on some, but not others. So I have not been surprised by Sequoia problems with 16GB. When I tried building a 16GB Disk Image, the createinstallmedia command said that I needed an extra ~1.7GB (from memory - 2 days ago).

I just checked my multi-boot USB drive. 16GB is fine for Sonoma (14.25GB), Ventura (13.07GB) and Monterey (13.67GB), not mentioning the old ones.

However, it is not the case for Sequoia, it takes 16.29GB so it won't fit on a 16GB drive.

macos 15 size.png

thewebgal

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
So, I've got a Studio M1 Max system. I'd prefer not to wipe my existing Sonoma (14.5) main drive or any of the 4 data drives in the external drive casing. I got the Beta installer loaded to a 32 gig Verbatum thumb drive just fine, and I wiped a 500GB (5400rpm) small drive on a USB adapter for the install.
So, whats the likelihood of installing Sequoia Beta to that 500GB drive to try it out, without disturbing my Sonoma system?
StudioStack_5162.jpeg

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
webgal wrote:
"So, whats the likelihood of installing Sequoia Beta to that 500GB drive to try it out, without disturbing my Sonoma system? "

I'm going to take a GUESS that it's not going to work.

REASON WHY:
The 5400rpm platter-based drive is simply TOO SLOW to run a modern Mac OS.
Either the install won't complete, or, the drive won't boot once the install is done.

Try installing it on that Sandisk SSD I see in the pic above.
If you do, I predict things will go MUCH better.

thewebgal

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
webgal wrote:
"So, whats the likelihood of installing Sequoia Beta to that 500GB drive to try it out, without disturbing my Sonoma system? "

I'm going to take a GUESS that it's not going to work.

REASON WHY:
The 5400rpm platter-based drive is simply TOO SLOW to run a modern Mac OS.
Either the install won't complete, or, the drive won't boot once the install is done.

Try installing it on that Sandisk SSD I see in the pic above.
If you do, I predict things will go MUCH better.
I have an external case with 4 7200rpm drives for spare docs, Music, photos, videos, and such.
I did the Sequoia Beta 1 install to the SanDisk as you suggested. Took a while but once done it ran well.
Later on I shut down, pulled the San Disk, and booted back into Sonoma 14.5

It fixed a recurring problem with iTunes/Music where it would drop the link to music I had not played in a while, so that I could not access it using the Remote app to play it via airtunes on my audio gear downstairs. All the files are now available - tho after a few songs in Sequoia when I clicked an artists name it didn't necessarily go to their music.

So, after some more testing fun, I shut down, pulled the Sequoia SanDisk, and restarted in Sonoma 14.5

Today I found it had updated the photo library file on another of the external drives and now I can't open Photos under Sonoma to add pix from my iPhone ... Ah well.

MacStack_SSD_5164.jpeg

Last edited:

tywebb13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
The beta 2 has capital B in "Beta" so the command for beta 2 is

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sequoia\ Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

They don't normally have the capital B so we'll have to see if the B stays in future betas or if it goes back to b.

kocoman

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
how to open the pkg file with pacifst, linux, windows and extract its createinstallmedia? thx

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you run the pkg file on a Mac, that will make the installer app. Then, it's a simple task (Right-click on the app to view the contents, open the Library folder, then the Resources folder. That's where you find your createinstallmedia file.

Reactions: gilby101

Joeronzk

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2020
how to open the pkg file with pacifst, linux, windows and extract its createinstallmedia? thx

For Windows, you need to download a custom dmg file and burn it to USB in order to make the USB bootable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.