Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I am running Mojave on a 2012 Mac mini. This is not my main system and I just use it to access some older software. I realize I do not have the latest security updates. What should I be doing to keep the computer safe from all the nasty stuff out there. I don't surf the web but I like to have it on my network because I assess the computer remotely from my main system.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Open Legacy Core Patcher could work depending on your ability to read and follow written instructions. If you can read (this is a rare skill online) and follow instructions (1:10000000+ skill), you may be able to do this. If that is you, click here for the latest supported models.

You said 2012 Mac Mini so that seems supported for MacOS 13+.

When completed, you'll have current security updates from Apple and a fully working system with a bug or two here documented here. There are usually easy workarounds like using a third party browser to watch Netflix or similar.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Open Legacy Core Patcher could work depending on your ability to read and follow written instructions. If you can read (this is a rare skill online) and follow instructions (1:10000000+ skill), you may be able to do this. If that is you, click here for the latest supported models.

You said 2012 Mac Mini so that seems supported for MacOS 13+.

When completed, you'll have current security updates from Apple and a fully working system with a bug or two here documented here. There are usually easy workarounds like using a third party browser to watch Netflix or similar.
I do run OCLP on one partition but I have some old software such as pre subscription adobe software I would like to use.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
It depend which attack vector you're worried about. If one partition is compromised, the whole system is and they can read/modify both. Security is like adding layers and layers to prevent compromises so it's harder to get into your system.

A common first step is anti-malware software. That version of MacOS is getting back there so many products have dropped support. It looks like Malwarebytes for Mac still supports it though.

Another step some take is setting up a https://pi-hole.net/ or similar device on the network. This stops traffic going to known malicious or sketchy servers like ad servers.

Reactions: dimme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.