Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
I can take a scan using Notes.app on my iPhone, email it to myself, and then open that scan on my iMac with no problem.
I showed someone how to do it but when they tried to open the scan on their iMac they sent themselves from their iPhone, they got this alert:
This note is unavailable. The owner stopped sharing, or you don't have permission to open it.
I Googled around for an answer but didn't find anything useful.
Can anyone help?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not sure. Just tried and working for me.

Why not just access it via Notes app on Mac? If Notes are syncing via iCloud, will show up on Mac. Select the Note, double click the scan, File > Export to PDFl, or, File > Print (select PDF or send to printer).

Reactions: Speed38

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
Not sure. Just tried and working for me.

Why not just access it via Notes app on Mac? If Notes are syncing via iCloud, will show up on Mac. Select the Note, double click the scan, File > Export to PDFl, or, File > Print (select PDF or send to printer).
You are absolutely right. Simply never thought of that method. Many thanks.

Speed38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
WDC Metro area
To make it as simple as possible, I wrote out this set of instructions for those seniors who attend my Zoom sessions:
Essentially, the steps are:

First, go to iCloud drive on your Mac and create a new folder and name it [Scans]

• Open the Notes.app on your iPhone or iPad
• Tap on the compose icon, bottom right
• Tap on the camera icon, above the keyboard
• Tap on [Scan Documents]
• Top right, change [Auto] to [Manual]
• Set up your scan and tap the shutter button then tap [Keep the scan]
• Tap [Save]
• Tap [Scanned Documents] upper left
• Tap [Save to Files]
• Navigate to the [Scans] folder you created in the first step, above
• Tap [Save], upper right

That’s it, you are done. Now go to iCloud Drive on any Apple device, navigate to the [Scans] folder and there is the scan you just took.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.