Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayElDee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
I am using 13.6.7 on my Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017. I shoot with a Nikon Z8
On my previous Nikons—prior to mirrorless—the right click Quick Look command in Finder displayed the image. Since the Z8 though I getno image, only this.
Is there a fix for this? Thanks
Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 6.30.26 PM.png

JayElDee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011

It seems the Z 8 isn't included, although is in Sonoma : https://support.apple.com/en-us/105094
Ah, thanks, may have to update to sonoma

@haralds its the same three letter format, ".nef," maybe the coding changed ?

but the point is they, both of them, need to fix this or at least advise. It's a real PITA for their customers.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Ah, thanks, may have to update to sonoma

@haralds its the same three letter format, ".nef," maybe the coding changed ?

but the point is they, both of them, need to fix this or at least advise. It's a real PITA for their customers.

All camera manufacturers revise there “native” file formats often with the release of new camera (generations). The usually keep the extension, but the format internally has changed (particularly variants which use compression). Whether it’s Mac, Win, Linux - OS can only adapted after such a release - because Canon, Nikon, Sony&Co. usually do not inform
And yes, everyone agrees it’s PITA, and even more, because for some formats it takes quite some time to get supported (or they do not arrive at all).

And: there are different options for NEF you can select depending on your camera model: select “lossless” NEF, which might be already accessible (and that’s the only one supported in Sonoma anyway).

If that does not work and Quicklook is essential for you, and your camera allows for it, consider to shoot DNG instead of NEF.

Reactions: JayElDee

JayElDee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
snip

And: there are different options for NEF you can select depending on your camera model: select “lossless” NEF, which might be already accessible (and that’s the only one supported in Sonoma anyway).

snip
thanks. I switched to lossless and nefs now appear with Quick Look. The downside is the file size increases from 30+mb to 50+ mb. This is something that I can live with, I think, though I need to see file sizes after editing...I suppose all resulting edits will also be 66% larger or so, so need to see that, but for the meantime this is a fix...thanks

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
why should the edits be bigger? Dimension and color/bit depth have not changed between lossless and compressed NEF, haven’t they? In an edit, e.g. an additional layer etc. has in both cases the same size. And if the compressed and lossless NEF use the same color depth, loading them into an edit workflow will take same memory.
What’s your edit workflow?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.