Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chipmaker Qualcomm has claimed that its new Snapdragon X Elite PC processor is 21% faster than Apple's latest M3 chip in multi-core performance, although questions remain about its thermal profile.

Snapdragon-X-Elite-chipset.jpg

Demoing PCs with the new chipset, the San Diego manufacturer told Digital Trends that the Snapdragon X Elite records a multi-core Geekbench score of 15,300, whereas Apple's M3 obtains a score of 12,154. What Qualcomm did not mention however is the Snapdragon-powered machine's power consumption as a benchmarking vector, which is an important indicator of efficiency performance.

Qualcomm's upcoming range of 2024 Windows PCs are expected to be offered in different thermal design profiles. The performance-focused 80W profile runs faster but generates more heat and requires active cooling (fans), while the efficiency-focused 23W profile is made to be used in thinner laptops with passive cooling systems. For comparison, Apple's base M3 MacBook Pro houses a single fan, similar to the discontinued 13-inch MacBook Pro, but the M3 Pro and M3 Max use dual-fan designs to allow the additional cores to reach maximum performance under load.

qualcomm-snapdragon-benchmark.jpg

The Snapdragon X Elite was announced in late October, just before Apple announced its new MacBook Pro lineup powered by M3 series chips. Despite the claims of better performance offered by the Elite chip over Apple silicon, Qualcomm conceded that "hardware... is the only thing we can control," and therefore the user experience between the rival machines is "not going to be the same," because "they're running macOS and we're running Windows."

Article Link: Qualcomm Claims Snapdragon X Elite 21% Faster Than Apple's M3 Chip

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Thermal Profile is important. Qualcomm's chip is likely missing many of the other GPU optimizations and features that Apple's M3 chip family supports, plus they are comparing it to the base M3 chip, not the M3 Pro, M3 Max, or the soon to be released M3 Ultra for performance. And what about Apple's built in GPUs, Media Encoders, Neural Engine, and other custom chip features on Apple's M3 series of chips, that may be missing on Qualcomm's chip? They are comparing Apples to Oranges!

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Is this the chip where the guys from Nuvia had been working on? If so, it will be interesting to see what’s capable of. Although I must admit that an 80W SoC seems a bit excessive… EDIT: Nevermind, I just read that the M2 Max already has a TDP of 80W

As I usually say, competition is good!

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
The M3 will be coming to fanless iPads and Macbook Airs, can the Snapdragon Elite achieve those numbers without a fan?

How does it compare with the rest of the M3 family, with what TDP and at what price points?

Will we see a Mini-PC with this chip going against the M3 Mac Mini at $500?

Will there be shipping systems with it soon, or are they really going against the M4 family?

lkrupp

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2004
Here we go again. MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS! It all seems so childish. Sounds like they’re marketing to 15 year old boys. And Apple is no better with their claims of superiority. I don’t buy Apple products because of benchmarks, I buy Apple products because of macOS, iOS, iPadOS and I’m certain I’m in the vast majority.

scorpio vega

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Here we go again. MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS! It all seems so childish. Sounds like they’re marketing to 15 year old boys. And Apple is no better with their claims of superiority. I don’t buy Apple products because of benchmarks, I buy Apple products because of macOS, iOS, iPadOS and I’m certain I’m in the vast majority.
Unfortunately there are grown men and women who literally somehow go crazy over this.
Points to any Android release of a smartphone for them to boast about specs that Apple does not have lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.