Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alamir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
I recently updated my MacBook Pro M1 14-inch 2021, purchased in June 2022, to the latest MacOS Sonoma. Following the update, I encountered persistent issues with the Finger ID and the laptop's tendency to restart unexpectedly. Initially attributing the problems to a potential software glitch, I downgraded to MacOS Ventura in an attempt to resolve the issues, only to find the issues persisting.

Seeking assistance, I contacted Apple Support, who conducted a diagnostic check and identified several error codes: Power port PPP020, Touch ID sensor BMT004, BMT005, BMT003, and fan issues PF003, PPF004, PPF001. They recommended scheduling an appointment with the Genius Bar, which I promptly did. During the Genius Bar examination, they ran diagnostics that confirmed the aforementioned issues.

Expressing my assurance that I hadn't caused any physical damage to the laptop, I emphasized my belief that the problems stemmed from either software or hardware issues on Apple's end. However, they informed me that my warranty had expired and suggested I should have purchased AppleCare. While understanding their perspective, I maintained that the root cause was the software upgrade.

The initial estimate for repair costs was quoted at $795, with potential additional charges. However, they proposed an alternative solution of flushing or reinstalling the drivers, which appeared to temporarily resolve the fan issue. Nevertheless, the problems with the power port and Finger ID persisted.

Upon returning home, I noticed that while the restarting issue had resolved, the Finger ID problem remained unresolved. Running another diagnostic check confirmed the persistence of the same issues. Researching online, I discovered numerous similar complaints from other MacBook Pro M1 users, indicating potential product defects.

As a long-time Apple customer since 1998, I am very disappointed by Apple's handling of the situation, particularly given the premium price tag of $1999, excluding taxes, I'm uncertain about the next steps. However, considering legal action under consumer protection laws seems like the only recourse to address the situation and prevent further mistreatment of consumers. I hope to gather support and insights from others experiencing similar issues to strengthen my case and advocate for fair treatment from Apple. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Reactions: u2funker

u2funker

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2024
I recently updated my MacBook Pro M1 14-inch 2021, purchased in June 2022, to the latest MacOS Sonoma. Following the update, I encountered persistent issues with the Finger ID and the laptop's tendency to restart unexpectedly. Initially attributing the problems to a potential software glitch, I downgraded to MacOS Ventura in an attempt to resolve the issues, only to find the issues persisting.

Seeking assistance, I contacted Apple Support, who conducted a diagnostic check and identified several error codes: Power port PPP020, Touch ID sensor BMT004, BMT005, BMT003, and fan issues PF003, PPF004, PPF001. They recommended scheduling an appointment with the Genius Bar, which I promptly did. During the Genius Bar examination, they ran diagnostics that confirmed the aforementioned issues.

Expressing my assurance that I hadn't caused any physical damage to the laptop, I emphasized my belief that the problems stemmed from either software or hardware issues on Apple's end. However, they informed me that my warranty had expired and suggested I should have purchased AppleCare. While understanding their perspective, I maintained that the root cause was the software upgrade.

The initial estimate for repair costs was quoted at $795, with potential additional charges. However, they proposed an alternative solution of flushing or reinstalling the drivers, which appeared to temporarily resolve the fan issue. Nevertheless, the problems with the power port and Finger ID persisted.

Upon returning home, I noticed that while the restarting issue had resolved, the Finger ID problem remained unresolved. Running another diagnostic check confirmed the persistence of the same issues. Researching online, I discovered numerous similar complaints from other MacBook Pro M1 users, indicating potential product defects.

As a long-time Apple customer since 1998, I am very disappointed by Apple's handling of the situation, particularly given the premium price tag of $1999, excluding taxes, I'm uncertain about the next steps. However, considering legal action under consumer protection laws seems like the only recourse to address the situation and prevent further mistreatment of consumers. I hope to gather support and insights from others experiencing similar issues to strengthen my case and advocate for fair treatment from Apple. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Yes, same issue with the BMT004/05/03 Touch ID . Any news from your side? Kind regards

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Depending on where you live and where it was purchased, you might be able to make a Consumer Law claim. But it's a full year outside of warranty now so I would not expect Apple to cover the cost, otherwise.

LadyStewart

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2024
Yes, same issue with the BMT004/05/03 Touch ID . Any news from your side? Kind regards
Same with me, all of a sudden. (as of last night) I'm way outside my apple care policy, and I'm with Alamir. I've been using MacBooks since 2006 and every other apple product too. I think $800 to fix a button is ridiculous. Possibly a ploy for us to purchase a new one at that price. Does anyone know when last the last update happened? And could that be part of the issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.