Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew-R

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2024
So, ... let me make horse out of myself.

I tend to try and run cinelerra-gg on basically anything with *nix like OS. FreeBSD/NetBSD/Linux/Termux :}

But MacOS a bit different due to another binary format (mach-O vs ELF) so I am a bit of stuck with our (inherited) clever abuse of objcopy for embedding icon set inside main executable.

I tried to use this SO answer:

but sadly resulting executable dies before even printing main banner with "-9" error?

I usually git clone our tree from this address:
git://git.cinelerra-gg.org/goodguy/cinelerra.git

and then hack until something started to work.

Well, in this case some fmemopen functions were undefined in 10.12.6's libc, so I pulled some code from github just to make it compile

Attached are git patches on top of our commit 5dd11b748e5409f8376376f51d0a18d111cbcfdc

I installed few macports (gimp, ffmpeg6, ffmpeg, mplayer, openexr and their dependencies) first, they dragged in most of deps

Then I also installed macport's binutils (yes, I have read warning, but you can deactivate / uninstall it after playing with cingg)

You usually git clone, then 'git am *.patch' from root of source tree (where autogen.sh is located)

then run ./autogen.sh

them blds/macos.bld

it will die with undefined symbols in plugins

then you cd into cinelerra dir and copy theme_data.S to x86_64 subdirectory and re-run make

at this point you should have bin directory with executable named 'cin', around 16 mb in size. Unfortunately it does not start, so I suspect some of my hackery was very wrong. gnm (GNU nm from binutils) lists symbols correctly, so error probably somewhere between assembler and linker stages ?

Attachments

• cingg-macosx-hacks.zip
    13.7 KB · Views: 16
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.