Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I put the iPad Pro in a Otterbox Defender case, instant dislike. The front inter case with the build in screen is so thin I don’t think you can get it off to install a glass screen protector without breaking it. the worst part is it turns the thin light weight iPad Pro into a heavy thick plastic
Quarry tile. Oh and the 90º USB plug does not fit into it. The Logitech goes on tomorrow.

Reactions: Orlandorealtor

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I put the iPad Pro in a Otterbox Defender case, instant dislike. The front inter case with the build in screen is so thin I don’t think you can get it off to install a glass screen protector without breaking it. the worst part is it turns the thin light weight iPad Pro into a heavy thick plastic
Quarry tile. Oh and the 90º USB plug does not fit into it. The Logitech goes on tomorrow.
Good to know!

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The Otterbox Defender case does not work with the straight Anker USB "C" cables I have. The only thing I have that works in this case are the Apple cables I have, this is completely unacceptable.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Now I am experiencing what has made me so hooked on the Otterbox Defender case for the last decade. How protective they are. Even with its shortcomings the thought of removing my $2200 USD iPad Pro from it are difficult to contemplate. If Otterbox would make this case without the plastic screen shield. 😟

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
If Otterbox would make this case without the plastic screen shield.

Screen-less version is sold on the Warrior Princess 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the feedback on the DP . . . just comped two 4th gen IPPs, and have been deliberating. Temp solution is to use Smart Folios (local MicroCenter has white ones in stock for USD10!) until I get proper permanent.

Always use the DPs on my iPhones.

[edit]

Well, decided to just order the DP Screenless . . . it was only USD60

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Screen-less version is sold on the Warrior Princess 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the feedback on the DP . . . just comped two 4th gen IPPs, and have been deliberating. Temp solution is to use Smart Folios (local MicroCenter has white ones in stock for USD10!) until I get proper permanent.

Always use the DPs on my iPhones.

[edit]

Well, decided to just order the DP Screenless . . . it was only USD60
I looked and it is for the previous model iPad, I ordered my case directly from Otterbox, Which is HQ’ed in Ft-Collins Colorado. I get them the next day and they don’t yet have a screenless version. I have had Defender Cases back to my iPod Touch 5.

I am quickly getting used to the Defender. I guess there is reason why I have used the OBD for at least 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I looked and it is for the previous model iPad, I ordered my case directly from Otterbox, Which is HQ’ed in Ft-Collins Colorado. I get them the next day and they don’t yet have a screenless version. I have had Defender Cases back to my iPod Touch 5.
ah!

Didn't notice that you're on newer tech.

I've purchased built-in plastic screen-protected models in the past (iPhone, etc.), and it was a real bear to remove 'em (mostly to get the gummy adhesive removed from the front-side casing).

Definitely possible, but *ugh* . . . getting the screen-less models has always been so much easier (though I must say, not all glass screen protectors work with the screen-less models).

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
(local MicroCenter has white ones in stock for USD10!)

FYI: the Gen3 Folios do not fit the Gen4 IPP's (contrary to web-search results, and multiple attestations) . . . the camera-bump cutout is thin-vertical, rather than square) ;/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.