Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squiggles Chitter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2024
I have an early 2013 macbook pro 15 inch. I installed macos sonoma using open core patcher. The machine is constantly overheating and fanning and its battery drains very fast. Any thoughts? I am looking for software related fixes

• Haha
Reactions: winxmac

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
If the hardware is already maxed out, including an SSD for storage, on the software side, you should install the oldest compatible macOS version...

Just look at iPhone 4s running iOS 5.x/6.x vs running iOS 9.x

Squiggles Chitter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2024
I tried using the oldest compatible macOS version for a while but it was too old to perform basic tasks such as web brosing. That is why I upgaded to sonoma

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can use Activity Monitor, to see what processes are using a lot of memory, and particularly those that use a lot of CPU time. That can have a direct affect on battery life. When launching Activity Monitor, go to the View menu, and make sure that All Processes is selected (not just My Processes) If you post back with what you find, someone may help with possible fixes that you can try.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Nils Zaayenga

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2023
I have an early 2013 macbook pro 15 inch. I installed macos sonoma using open core patcher. The machine is constantly overheating and fanning and its battery drains very fast. Any thoughts? I am looking for software related fixes
Hello,

Among other things, I have a MacBook Pro from the beginning of 2011.
It has an SSD and 16 GB RAM,

Sonoma via OCLP did not work on my device either. I have the same Problems.
I think that Mac OS Monterey works best on the older devices.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Im using MT Lion on my mid 13" 2012 MBP without any problems and now this is now my main computer.
Catalina was too hot while Mojave ate battery life but had the icloud settings syncing perfectly.
Monterey OCLP worked great for 4 days then shut down repeatedly in late 2022.

Seems to me that our macbooks cant perform as well as the original OSes
due to the processor and graphics card being out-dated to handle such tasks
that were developed for newer processors,
they still work, but with implications and heating problems.

I hope this makes sense.

Reactions: Snowlover

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
That's odd. My mid-2012 MacBook Pro seems fine on Catalina.
For me, maybe the wd green 265 ssd was not good enough to run catalina at full speed.
i had to delete the OS on the same MBP 12 due to the hot sensitive to the touch temps,
now i remember that was running that at max tho.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
For me, maybe the wd green 265 ssd was not good enough to run catalina at full speed.
i had to delete the OS on the same MBP 12 due to the hot sensitive to the touch temps,
now i remember that was running that at max tho.
I bought the high end SSD from OtherWorld Computing. I've had two of them and they've been fine, plus having 16 GB of RAM, a quad-core i7, and GeForce 650M make for a powerful combination. I can still boil water when processing video, though.

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.