Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
My Mid 2012 Retina 15 inch A1298 MacBook Pro started behaving really weird recently - all of a sudden, it started malfunctioning after over 12 years of normal operation. When I try booting it off, I don't see anything on the screen, yet the Apple logo on the back glows up. Sometimes after several attempts the computer boots of and everything seems normal until it shuts down 15-20 minutes after booting off.

Could someone tell me if what could be the source of the problem and the culprit. Is it more a software related issue or more of a hardware related issue?

Thank god I could get the data out of the computer using some conversion technology so now I don't worry about the data, I just want to bring computer back to working condition.

Thanks in advance!

theMarble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2020
Earth, Sol System, Alpha Quadrant
I'd say that the most likely culprit is something power-related, probably either the battery or the DC-in board/circuity.
Have you ever replaced the battery on it?

Another very small possibility is that it is a display issue, given that it mysteriously turns off at ~15 minutes, however I do find this to be extremely unlikely as the Apple logo is glowing (the glowing logo uses the exact same backlight and circuitry as the display).

MikeBTL

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2022
My Mid 2012 Retina 15 inch A1298 MacBook Pro started behaving really weird recently - all of a sudden, it started malfunctioning after over 12 years of normal operation. When I try booting it off, I don't see anything on the screen, yet the Apple logo on the back glows up. Sometimes after several attempts the computer boots of and everything seems normal until it shuts down 15-20 minutes after booting off.

Could someone tell me if what could be the source of the problem and the culprit. Is it more a software related issue or more of a hardware related issue?

Thank god I could get the data out of the computer using some conversion technology so now I don't worry about the data, I just want to bring computer back to working condition.

Thanks in advance!
I experienced a similar issue with my 2012 retina MacBook pro 15. However, when I ran in "safe mode" it became stable. Then (using trial and error)I determined that the problem related to connected audio (of all things). I got around it by using wireless speakers. This happened about two years ago so it is somewhat vague. I only occasionally use so not sure if problem is still there.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try "safe boot" as mentioned above (hold down shift key CONTINUOUSLY as it boots).

This is a 15" model with dedicated/discrete graphics?
Might be a graphics failure.

One other thing:
Has the hard drive ever been replaced?

vmflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
Try "safe boot" as mentioned above (hold down shift key CONTINUOUSLY as it boots).

This is a 15" model with dedicated/discrete graphics?
Might be a graphics failure.

One other thing:
Has the hard drive ever been replaced?
Greetings!
Regarding graphics, I can't really tell since it was my dad's laptop for a long time.
The hard disk has not been replaced.

I'll try safe booting the device and tell you the results once completed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Something else.

2012 MacBook Pro 13" models (Unibody, NOT retina) had a problem with the internal drive ribbon connecting cable -- it was prone to failure. When it got "wonky", communication between the drive and the motherboard could be randomly interrupted.

To the user, it might seem like "a failed drive", when it was really only the cable.

I'm not sure if this problem affected the 15" models or not.
But the cable is cheap and easy to change.

If you're planning to keep this, I'd change the internal hard drive for an SSD instead.
A 2.5" SATA SSD, say 512gb, is actually cheap these days.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
Does the "shut down" happen after you place the Macbook Pro 2012 down on a table or desk?
if so, the cable is either loose or faulty.
as Fishrrman stated these ribbons are faulty, but easily replaceable.
my replacement cable was ordered from US cali company named Beetstech.

I use the 13" version as my main computer now since OSX Mt Lion suits my needs perfectly now.
adding a new ssd and ram upgrade will improve the MBP 12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.