Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
i already have a wifi network for the rest of the computers on my network hooked up to an airport time capsule, but what i want to do is connect some of my older computers aka os9 to it's own "B" network using an older airport extreme ufo style. now i have it set up as it's own manual dhcp using 192.xxx but when i connect the ufo to the main network via lan (capsule) -> wan (ufo), i get the 192 address but no internet connection. if i connect lan (capsule) -> lan (ufo) i lose my 192 address and it piggybacks my 10.0.xxx address line and it see's the computers on the network which i don't want.

and no i can't just use an ethernet cable since the os9 is a powerbook g3 in a completely different room and i am not running 300 feet of ethernet across my house

so what i want to do is have 2 separate networks on one internet connection.

so it should look like this in my head...

network.png

any ideas on what i am doing wrong?

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
What exactly are the settings of your AirPort Extreme? To meet your requirements, the following settings would be sufficient:

• Configure the AirPort Extreme's WAN port as a DHCP client, which will acquire an IP address from the 10.0.1.0/24 subnet, from your Time Capsule.
  • Configure the AirPort Extreme's LAN (Wi-Fi) with a DHCP server, assigning IP addresses using the 192.168.1.0/24 net range to your devices like PowerBook G3.
  • Configure the AirPort Extreme to NAT the traffic from the upstream, aka your Time Capsule."

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
i'll try that when i get home and see if that works. i know some of you are saying use the guest network on the capsule but it doesnt have the option for wep

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
you are awesome!!!

that worked. the intel mac can see the ufo (but can't connect to it, too old software) and does not see the wep network at all, the pismo can't see the intel mac, but can connect to the net, and the pismo can network to the titanium on the same ufo network

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.