Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
The main reason I am buying a new monitor is that my current old Samsung LED monitor is killing my eyes, it is very harsh and back then there was no blue light blocking in LED monitors
I am trying to decide between Viewsonic, BenQ, and Asus. Not a gamer, just go online and watch some video clips, most interested in text quality as my eyes are bothering me and I have dry eyes.
Best Buy has a few models in a reasonable price range. Looking for something no bigger than 24 inches.
The BenQ has an interesting feature that adjust the brightness depending on the amount of light in the room.
What would be the difference between an MVA type monitor and IPS? Which would be easier on the eyes if that is a factor?
I've heard something about IPS Glow, but Viewsonic said it shouldn't b a factor.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm not a monitor expert.

IPS screens have an inherent tendency to "bleed the backlight" and thus, the "IPS glow".
It's a fact-of-life that has to be factored in against the other qualities of IPS (such as clarity).

The MVA may actually have "blacker blacks" in a dim room.
However, some of the other characteristics might be "slightly lacking" vis-a-vis IPS.

IF you want "quality" withOUT the "IPS glow", then look at the new OLED displays.
But BE AWARE that this is a relatively new technology, not many out there yet, and those that are on the market tend to be expensive.

These days I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 27" 4k display. It has enhanced blacks, but STILL shows some IPS glow. When they come out with OLED panels in 27" 4k format, I'll probably get one, but right now there seem to be none on the market.

Before I had the Dell, I used a Viewsonic 27" 1080p for a number of years. It was a reliable display (but the Dell is better, but was twice the $$). As I look at amazon reviews, the Viewsonic 27" 4k displays come in very well. I tend to compare the total number of reviews, and look at the combined total of 5 and 4 star ratings. Also pays to read the negative reviews, to see what the shortcomings are.

Reactions: steve333

steve333

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 12, 2008
I'm not a monitor expert.

IPS screens have an inherent tendency to "bleed the backlight" and thus, the "IPS glow".
It's a fact-of-life that has to be factored in against the other qualities of IPS (such as clarity).

The MVA may actually have "blacker blacks" in a dim room.
However, some of the other characteristics might be "slightly lacking" vis-a-vis IPS.

IF you want "quality" withOUT the "IPS glow", then look at the new OLED displays.
But BE AWARE that this is a relatively new technology, not many out there yet, and those that are on the market tend to be expensive.

These days I'm using a Dell Ultrasharp 27" 4k display. It has enhanced blacks, but STILL shows some IPS glow. When they come out with OLED panels in 27" 4k format, I'll probably get one, but right now there seem to be none on the market.

Before I had the Dell, I used a Viewsonic 27" 1080p for a number of years. It was a reliable display (but the Dell is better, but was twice the $$). As I look at amazon reviews, the Viewsonic 27" 4k displays come in very well. I tend to compare the total number of reviews, and look at the combined total of 5 and 4 star ratings. Also pays to read the negative reviews, to see what the shortcomings are.
Thanks for the reply.
Does that IPS Glow affect the eyes, I was told it shouldn't be an issue and the two brands I am favoring right now, BenQ and Asus, both are Eyesight verified for lack of flicker and blue light blocking.
The only MVA monitor on my list is a Viewsonic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.