Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I created an iTunes Apple ID years back and it is a gmail account. Now I have my iCloud email address which I use for everything and my old gmail ID for purchases. Is there anyway to change this so all of my old purchases are linked to the iCloud account and I can just use the one account?

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks, I looked in to this before and couldn't find a way. Seems really odd and annoying this has not been fixed. I presume the majority of people here have this problem.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Thanks, I looked in to this before and couldn't find a way. Seems really odd and annoying this has not been fixed. I presume the majority of people here have this problem.

Yep. I have an old iTunes account that is just a username. For some reason when i got my iPhone it wouldn't let me convert it to an iCloud account. So all of my music is purchased with the iTunes account, and app purchases and iCloud stuff is managed with my iCloud account. I don't even use it for email outside of Apple stuff since I have a personal Gmail account and a school Gmail account.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yep... I feel your pain and would like to merge also. Tim Cook mentioned a couple years or so ago they were "working on it", but since then it has been crickets. :(

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks everyone. I guess the wait continues to when we can just use one account. I use gmail as my primary address but everything else is now on iCloud. Will look back again in another 12 months on this, here's hoping.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Thanks everyone. I guess the wait continues to when we can just use one account. I use gmail as my primary address but everything else is now on iCloud. Will look back again in another 12 months on this, here's hoping.
Love the positive attitude. I'm sure they'll figure something out at some point. :)

In the meantime, I'll just sit over here waiting for Megaman ZX 3.......

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Yep... I feel your pain and would like to merge also. Tim Cook mentioned a couple years or so ago they were "working on it", but since then it has been crickets. :(

I think this is the type of situation where feedback to Apple could really be helpful! I too have the same problem. Years ago, I got an iTunes account with an old Gmail address that I no longer really use. I then got a .Mac address, which eventually became my current iCloud account, that I use for everything - email, calendars, contacts, iCloud Drive, etc etc.

Now, though, I can't merge the two, since both my iTunes account and my iCloud accounts are considered their own, separate Apple IDs. This is a problem for me and basically means that I can't use some features, such as Apple Music Family Sharing. Not gonna lie, it kinda feels like I'm being inadvertently punished for being an early adopter of Apple's services.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Ah, the eternal problem.

Honestly, we've been struggling with this since many years ago (since the appearence of MobileMe, I think).

If Apple really wanted to offer a solution for this problem, it would be already solved at this point. But it's not, so it won't.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Has anything changed on this issue yet ? I've been on MobileMe from the start, then iTunes, and now I have to manage an iCloud account plus the old iTunes account that has all my purchases from almost decades ...

Anyone knows if Apple is now capable of merging them ? I asked an Apple Store employee a few days ago and he said that Apple Support can do it now ( which surprised me, as I never heard any news about it ). I'm going to call when I have time, but just wanted to know if anyone done it yet.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Has anything changed on this issue yet ? I've been on MobileMe from the start, then iTunes, and now I have to manage an iCloud account plus the old iTunes account that has all my purchases from almost decades ...

Anyone knows if Apple is now capable of merging them ? I asked an Apple Store employee a few days ago and he said that Apple Support can do it now ( which surprised me, as I never heard any news about it ). I'm going to call when I have time, but just wanted to know if anyone done it yet.
I don’t believe you were given accurate information.

Reactions: Weaselboy

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
My dream would be to merge accounts from different countries! I have a US one but now live in the UK but most of my purchases 300 movies and many more tv shows are in the US store And I can’t access them easily in the UK as my day to day apps are in the UK for banking etc and family sharing!

I’ve almost considered abandoning all my purchases and starting again in the UK account but this would be wasteful!

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004

I don’t believe you were given accurate information.
Agreed... this would have been all over the Apple news sites if true.

They may have been referring to the ability to merge a non-iCloud address with an iCloud address?

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
They may have been referring to the ability to merge a non-iCloud address with an iCloud address?
Is that actually possible ? My iTunes account isn’t a .iCloud ( or any of the old .Mac/Me/MobileMe email adress), only my iCloud adress is.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
Is that actually possible ? My iTunes account isn’t a .iCloud ( or any of the old .Mac/Me/MobileMe email adress), only my iCloud adress is.

I thought I'd read that it was, but now can't find the reference. It may just be you can change your sign-in address from a third-party email to the actual iCloud address with which it's associated (and once that's done you can't change back).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.