Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
I have a 2020 Intel MBP and keep Time Machine backups. If I were to get an 2024 M3 MBA, could I use the Time Machine MBP backup and transfer -only- the music library?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
If I were to get an 2024 M3 MBA, could I use the Time Machine MBP backup and transfer -only- the music library?
Yes... I think so. Attach the Intel MBA TM backup disk to your M3 MBA. I think you should be able to use Migration Assistant to select just your Music library to migrate... although I've never tried it. I've just always migrated the entire user account w/ all files/application/preferences/configurations/etc to the new Mac.

brinkeguthrie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2020
Yes... I think so. Attach the Intel MBA TM backup disk to your M3 MBA. I think you should be able to use Migration Assistant to select just your Music library to migrate... although I've never tried it. I've just always migrated the entire user account w/ all files/application/preferences/configurations/etc to the new Mac.
So I can transfer JUST the music then. The reason I ask is; I did a wipe of my MBP last week due to something unrelated (white screen of death with vertical lines, yay) and then shoved in the latest TM backup. Everything fine, except: Siri voices are borked. None of them are accurate. Store told me 'some TM data may have been corrupt.' Which I've not heard of.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Even if you selected just music, would this really work? Seems like at a minimum it would transfer basic system files from the backup too.

Might as well try it and see, OP.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You don't have the new MacBook yet, is this correct?

What you could try:
When the new MBP comes, put it on the table but DO NOT OPEN THE LID YET.
Connect your tm backup.
NOW open the lid.
Begin setup.
DO NOT create a new account.
When setup assistant asks if you wish to migrate from another drive, YES, you do, so "point the way" to the tm backup.

SA will take a while to "digest" the backup, then present you with a list of stuff to migrate.
You want to migrate ONLY your previous account, so you must UNCHECK everything else.
MORE...
I believe with ONLY your account checked, you have the option to "go into" the account and check/uncheck things like music, pictures, etc.
Disclaimer: never did this myself, you'll have to try to find out.

So... you would want to UNCHECK everything EXCEPT "Music" in your account.

Then, let SA do its thing, and it should migrate ONLY
- your account (basically empty)
and
- your music folder (from the old account).

There are other ways, but it will be up to others to point them out.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I have a 2020 Intel MBP and keep Time Machine backups. If I were to get an 2024 M3 MBA, could I use the Time Machine MBP backup and transfer -only- the music library?
EDIT: Hmmm, maybe Finder won't allow one to use "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" for a TM disk... if so, (depending upon the user ID numbers) you might have to use Terminal commands instead of the simple process I thought would work....

Original post:

I wouldn't bother with Migration Assistant/Setup Assistant if you want just your music library and not the rest of your account. After setting up the new machine with a new account, I'd just attach the TM backup drive, open it with Finder (double-click), drill down through the folder hierarchy, and drag the music library to your desired location on the new Mac.

Depending upon the old and new account user ID numbers, you might have to use "Get Info" on the backup drive and ensure "Ignore Ownership on this Volume" is enabled (checked).

Anybody -- am I missing something here? AFAIK, macOS still allows you to directly access the files on the TM backup volume using Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.