Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
trying to pick between these two...

mostly video and photo work in davinci && adobe lightroom/photoshop.
no 3d rendering afaik

its currently 5059$ && 5859$ here in aus for the configs on refurb store so trying to decide which one is better.
i have multiple SSDs which i don't mind linking externally, the internal ssd while convenient is too high atm for comfort.

anyone got the 14c30g [36gb 1tb] unit and didn't feel like they missed out on 16c 40g [48gb/1tb]

i also do have 3200aud worth of apple gift cards so these laptops are getting heavily cut down in price out of my pocket but still tinkering

like my pc which lasted 7-8 years but now is choppy and crippling... i want a laptop that'll last decently/moderately long. m3 max seems like the choice, sure i know m4 is on the horizon but ive waited nearly 1 year plus already tinkering of a macbook pro/studio but my pc is coming to end terms now and is painful to use.

i've ruied out M3/M3 Pro based on the fact that i need 1tb ssd and 36gb ram bare minimum. [upgrading those chips will put the pricepoint so close to Max lol]

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I bought the 14/30 1TB and it is incredible. It's tackled everything I need it for without feeling like its hitting the limit at all. I also bought for a bit of longevity.

What are your use cases?

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
I bought the 14/30 1TB and it is incredible. It's tackled everything I need it for without feeling like its hitting the limit at all. I also bought for a bit of longevity.

What are your use cases?
as above majority in davinci resolve [more video now]
and some photoshop/lightroom [less pics now]

based on your response i am correct for looking at M3 Max lineup at least. i've managed my crummy pc for 8 years [and the processor isn't as powerful as the M3 Max probably 3-4x less] so this machine should really hold up for me well too.

longetivity is the reason too im not one to upgrade my stuff frequently buy something that just works and hold on for dear life

Reactions: Xavier

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
You will certainly see a world of difference with this upgrade. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine, so it really comes down to how much money you personally feel like you can spend.

I am on the other end, using more large PS docs and large photo libraries, and have had zero slow downs. It really is incredible how fast these machines are now.

• Love
Reactions: UnifiedMelody

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
You will certainly see a world of difference with this upgrade. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine, so it really comes down to how much money you personally feel like you can spend.

I am on the other end, using more large PS docs and large photo libraries, and have had zero slow downs. It really is incredible how fast these machines are now.
Oh believe me I've been dying to switch over to Macbooks since Apple Silicon Debuted.

I know M4 is on the horizon but from my logical perspective an pov and some extreme benchmarks, M3 Max is too fast already. Most likely going to go with the 16c40g unit and base spec of that config due to memory bandwidth [too].

Did you pick the 14" or the 16" on your variant? and if so how did you find the heat/fans on it [esp if the 14"]
I was worried about the heat issues on the 14" lol which is what's swaying me to the 16" [the 14" refurb m3 max is only the 14c30g config]

i wouldn't be swinging the laptop around places a lot, rarely/slight occasion but not frequently as I work in an office [with equipment provided] so I can only use it on weekends [outside] so im leaning towards the 16" ish.

Given my pc lasted 5-6 years before the m3 max is shouting my name i suspect the m3 max can easily hold up long if not even longer so it's a worthwhile investment just upping the max chip and getting bumped up in ram a bit.

i have a plenty of 2TB ssd's sitting around my desk so i can use those so i'm not even going to bother speccing up the internal storage to 2TB.

Reactions: Xavier

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Oh believe me I've been dying to switch over to Macbooks since Apple Silicon Debuted.

I know M4 is on the horizon but from my logical perspective an pov and some extreme benchmarks, M3 Max is too fast already. Most likely going to go with the 16c40g unit and base spec of that config due to memory bandwidth [too].

Did you pick the 14" or the 16" on your variant? and if so how did you find the heat/fans on it [esp if the 14"]
I was worried about the heat issues on the 14" lol which is what's swaying me to the 16" [the 14" refurb m3 max is only the 14c30g config]

i wouldn't be swinging the laptop around places a lot, rarely/slight occasion but not frequently as I work in an office [with equipment provided] so I can only use it on weekends [outside] so im leaning towards the 16" ish.

Given my pc lasted 5-6 years before the m3 max is shouting my name i suspect the m3 max can easily hold up long if not even longer so it's a worthwhile investment just upping the max chip and getting bumped up in ram a bit.

i have a plenty of 2TB ssd's sitting around my desk so i can use those so i'm not even going to bother speccing up the internal storage to 2TB.
I didn't look at the 14", as I was only considering the 16". I have a display as well that I use with the laptop when at my desk.

Honestly it's by far the best laptop I've ever had. It has heated up for me but not to a discomfort level on my lap. But most of my heavy workflows happen at the desk, so heat hasn't been an issue. I image you might have a similar experience with video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.