Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CPmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Lexington, KY
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to see if anyone else has had this problem. Last time I was on a FaceTime call on my Mac, the person I was speaking to mentioned it was hard to hear me because it sounded like I was on a plane. Switched to my iPhone and issue was gone.

It seems like the internal mic is picking up some audio that I don't actually think exists (see the attached video. That was taken in a very quiet room). This behavior is only present when using the internal mic, no issues when using Studio Display or AirPods mic.

Went to the Apple Store today, and they were stumped. All diagnostic results were negative, and we even tested against 2 other MacBooks on the floor. Both showed much lower levels of sound, and obviously that is a very loud environment.

Next step is for me to try a restore and start from scratch, but I was hoping to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I'd really love to avoid restoring, and potentially having them open up the Macbook lol.

MacBook Pro 16', M3 Max

Thanks!!

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Have you already tried software like Onyx or Sonoma Cache Cleaner? That can sometimes solve little things like this without much more than a quick reboot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.