Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennlabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2019
Knoxville
After waking up the Mac mini M2 new this week, the Apple Thunderbolt Displays goes black for 3 seconds then is normal. Is there a setting I need to look into or is this a problem that an update will fix later.
At least it is coming back on and not giving me the problems my old Mac mini was giving me.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I haven't tried running a TBD on a M1 mini, but the behavior you're describing wouldn't concern me.

tennlabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2019
Knoxville
Well it went black and never came back. Tried a different surge protector. Tried using the Mac book dongle that came with the original cable. The light on the cable came on but nothing on the monitor. So off to apple I went. Boy the displays are pricey. But the other one lasted about 14 years. Wish there was a way to replace the cable - not power cord - and see if the old one would work.

tennlabs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2019
Knoxville
Apple Thunderbolt displays also work with a TB2 cable from the computer plugged into the TB port on the back of the case.
Thanks you are right. I ended up getting a new monitor but also went on eBay and got a TB 2 cable and used the TB 2 on the old monitor attached to adapter to go to the USB c it works. I cut the old cord (not the power) to just get rid of it. It still works. But since I got the new one, I will just keep this one in the basement in case something happens to the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.