Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmaceut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Hello,

When I plug in the charger to my MacBook Pro (late 2023) whether it's launching or on the login screen, the chime is extremely loud. Conversely, when I'm already logged in, it is moderate and can be adjusted by the sound settings. Can this be fixed somehow?

Thanks

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
First, unplug any external speakers or disconnect them from bluetooth. Open Settings > Sound and make sure built-in MacBook Pro speakers are selected in the Output tab. Adjusting the charging chime volume should be a combination of the Alert volume and Output volume sliders. Are you charging using MagSafe or USB-C?

farmaceut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
First, unplug any external speakers or disconnect them from bluetooth. Open Settings > Sound and make sure built-in MacBook Pro speakers are selected in the Output tab. Adjusting the charging chime volume should be a combination of the Alert volume and Output volume sliders. Are you charging using MagSafe or USB-C?
No speakers. I checked the settings, and they are fine. This does not happen when I'm already logged in, only when turning on the computer or when in the choose user window. I use the Magsafe; it has only Magsafe.

farmaceut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
For now, wait until you're logged in - for the future, apple.com/feedback
So this is 'a feature'? Interesting. On my old (2012) MacBook Pro, the chime sound upon login in was adjusted to the overall laptop's sound level.

PotentPeas

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2023
So this is 'a feature'? Interesting. On my old (2012) MacBook Pro, the chime sound upon login in was adjusted to the overall laptop's sound level.
Newer Macs with FileVault enabled operate in a sort of protected/isolated mode from initial bootup until you actually log in, because your account password is actually used to unlock the decryption keys for your disk. So... it probably doesn't know what you have the volume set to until after you log in.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I can't replicate this.

I mute my volume and whatever I do, the charging chime doesn't make a sound. I plugged it in while the laptop was off (but lid open) and it booted. I tried pulling/pushing the charging cable during boot, at the login screen, and after logging in, and it was silent. Same as the boot-up sound. Silent.

This isn't a FileVault issue as I have a Mac with the T2 security chip and FileVault fully enabled. The sound volume, like other items such as the user avatar, are somehow written to the part of the disk which is booted from before the drive is unlocked.

farmaceut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
So I wonder why the chime is loud whenever I restart the computer despite lowering it…

Apathist

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
So I wonder why the chime is loud whenever I restart the computer despite lowering it…

By way of contrast: If I attach the MagSafe charger to my M1 during startup (black screen, with white :apple: and progress bar) it makes no sound. If I attach it at the login screen it makes an extremely loud chime. If I attach it during or after login, the chime corresponds to the system's volume level setting.

I guess this might support PotentPeas's suggestion that the volume setting is simply in an anomalous state during the initial stages of startup. In any case, I guess I wouldn't be too concerned about it, unless I were in a library or other quiet setting.

Last edited:

farmaceut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
> If I attach the MagSafe charger to my M1 during startup (black screen, with white :apple: and progress bar) it makes no sound.
Didn't have the opportunity to check that.
> If I attach it at the login screen it makes an extremely loud chime.
THIS !!!
> If I attach it during or after login, the chime corresponds to the system's volume level setting.
Same here!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"> If I attach it at the login screen it makes an extremely loud chime.
THIS !!!
> If I attach it during or after login, the chime corresponds to the system's volume level setting.

Same here!"

Ummm...
I'm just a dumb old guy, but...
... wouldn't "the solution" (assuming you don't want a LOUD chime) be to just wait until you're logged in before you attach the charging cord?

Reactions: farmaceut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.