Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmilioCube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
I have an old Cinema HD 23" display with ADC (combines 28V, DVI and 2x USB 1.1) from 2002 that I normally drive from my Windows Laptop with the Apple ADC to DVI adapter or my Power Mac G4 Cube (I am mostly active in the PowerPC forum). I just recently got a original DVI to HDMI adapter and an (also original) Lightning to HDMI adapter.

So theoretically I would connect my iPad via the three adapters to the display like this: Lightning - HDMI - DVI - ADC
Connecting my iPad to another DVI screen works but it doesnt rescale to the monitors full resolution (4K) so there are huge black bezels covering half the screen.
So I guess both the iPad and the Apple Display dont support rescaling and the iPads resolution (8th gen, 2160x1620) is bigger than the one from the ADC display which is 1920x1200 so it just decides to display out nothing at all.
When I plug it in, the light on the monitor goes on for half a second and the iPad shows the blue adapter icon in the upper right for about two seconds but then disappears. I tried both iPadOS 17 and the developer Beta of iPadOS 18.

Any ideas to fix this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.