Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmaceut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
Hello folks,

I'm looking for a display I can connect my MacBook to for effective use at home. The LG 32SR83U-W has caught my attention. It is quite affordable, slim like the Studio Display, 4K, and I generally enjoy LG TV screens quality. Moreover, it let me watch streaming services thanks to WebOS and connect my Steam Deck to play games.

The drawbacks I have found online include poor sound quality. I also can't determine if the screen is anti-glare and how it compares to Apple displays. Currently, I use an old 27" iMac (late 2013) as a display, so let's use that as a reference point. While I would naturally prefer a display of the same quality as the one in my MacBook (video: Studio Display), I believe this wouldn't be possible at a similar price. Although I could pay a larger amount for the Studio Display, I wonder if Apple will release a new one with miniLED technology within a year or two.

Additionally, the version of the LG display I'm considering does not have a camera. I know the 85 model does, but it is not available in my country. In either case, I presume I could use AirPlay to use my iPhone as a camera, couldn't I?

Given that I wish to buy a monitor that will last at least five years and use it mainly for work (~12 hours a day, seven days a week), what do you think?

Thanks in advance

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Buy an inexpensive pair of self-powered computer speakers (either connecting via a mini-plug or USB).

Even "cheap" external speakers will sound FAR better than either the internal speakers or the speakers in just about all displays.

Alternative:
Headphones. A cheap pair of Koss "titanium" phones works fine for me.
Or, spend more if you "want more".

One other thing:
The problem with a 32" display is that if you want "retina-4k" resolution, text is going to look "over-sized" even at normal font sizes.

1440p will work, but the pixels won't be "doubled" (i.e., "retina").

A 27" 4k display might be a better choice.
There are MANY available at all price points.
Also look at Samsung, Dell, and Viewsonic.

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Monitor speakers are always going to be lousy. There are inexpensive options out there that will consistently outperform anything built into a monitor.

With regards to the webcam you have two options. You can either buy an inexpensive monitor-mounted webcam for when you need to use it, or you can use your iPhone and pair it via the Camera Continuity feature that was introduced in I believe macOS Monterey.

With regards to display quality, this one is a bit tougher. The MacBook Pros have extremely high quality displays that can do DCI P3 gamut and HDR. Even the Studio Display doesn't support HDR. This display claims to support 95% of DCI P3 gamut (which is good for the price) and to support HDR10, but it's likely not as robust as the mini LED display in the MacBook. To be clear this is a good quality monitor, but it might not be the level of quality of the internal display of your laptop.

farmaceut

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2018
To be clear this is a good quality monitor, but it might not be the level of quality of the internal display of your laptop.

At the price, I don't expect it to be! It's just an option while awaiting for new Studio Display

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
One other thing:
The problem with a 32" display is that if you want "retina-4k" resolution, text is going to look "over-sized" even at normal font sizes.

1440p will work, but the pixels won't be "doubled" (i.e., "retina").

A 27" 4k display might be a better choice.
There are MANY available at all price points.
Also look at Samsung, Dell, and Viewsonic.
Keep in mind that 4K at 27" isn't retina either, although plenty of people find it acceptable. I have the 24" 4K UltraFine (LG 24MD4KL-B) at work, and it's retina. I personally can't stand non-retina displays with macOS.
Currently, I use an old 27" iMac (late 2013) as a display, so let's use that as a reference point. While I would naturally prefer a display of the same quality as the one in my MacBook (video: Studio Display), I believe this wouldn't be possible at a similar price.
I'm not sure what your price is in your country, but the equivalent 85 model is $600 stateside, and the UltraFine I mentioned above is often around $650. The iMac you have isn't retina, and if it's been fine with you, the extra cost may not be worth it. However, in the vein of similar quality as the MBP, your options with retina are (unfortunately) limited, moreseo with 5K.
Moreover, it let me watch streaming services thanks to WebOS and connect my Steam Deck to play games.
Remember that most "smart" features are also used to surveil you, and LG is no exception with their TVs. While I don't know if they leverage invasive behaviors on monitors, it would fit right in. This is why I have noted the LG 24MD4KL-B above, it's a dumb device that nails its job.

Reactions: farmaceut

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It's just an option while awaiting for new Studio Display

You will likely have a long wait. Don't remember any rumors about a new studio display. It was 11 years between the introduction of the 27" thunderbolt display (2011) and the Studio Display (2022). Last time I looked the two best quality displays out there (not in the film studio $$$$ category) were the Studio Display and an LG display sister. The latter having not as good a build quality.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I have 2 of the 4K 24" LG monitors that, until recently, were sold in Apple Stores. They're excellent for what they are, and the slightly smaller 24" size seems to minimize the 4K drawback. You might think about going a bit smaller than even 27"; as others have noted, the 27" won't be retina and you'll be able to discern a substantial difference in the way the monitor displays text in particular.

The Studio Display was a long time coming ... and I think the current iteration will be around for at least 2 or 3 more years. I gather you're not in a hurry, which is likely a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.