Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's rumored mini-LED 27-inch external display is still in the works and will reach mass production in 2024 or early 2025, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

apple-studio-display-blue.jpg

On Twitter, Kuo today said that the device will boast "all the features one would expect from a high-end monitor." The external display has previously been rumored to offer ProMotion for refresh rates up to 120Hz and an Apple silicon chip.

Unlike Apple's existing mini-LED display technology in the iPad Pro, which has a PCB backplane, the 27-inch monitor will have a glass backplane, Kuo explained. This will enable a thinner panel, narrower bezels, and longer product lifespan.

The claim seemingly comes in contrast to a report from display analyst Ross Young, who yesterday said that Apple had "killed off" the display "for now," despite shipping some display panels designed for the monitor last year. Young initially expected the monitor to launch in 2022, before shifting to the first quarter of 2023.

Article Link: Kuo: Apple 27-Inch Mini-LED External Display Still Planned, Mass Production Slated for 2024 to 2025

Last edited:
Reactions: bbdani

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
When the 27" Studio Display was released, there were so many rumours about a 27" with promotion, miniLED, etc. I was so close to just waiting it out, but quite happy that I pulled the trigger on the ASD instead of waiting for what would seem to be several years.

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
I hope he's right, I would love a 27-inch miniLED monitor.

But it'd better not be a replacement for the 32-inch Pro Display XDR. 27 inches is too small for an external monitor for many users.

Reactions: bbdani and enc0re

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
When the 27" Studio Display was released, there were so many rumours about a 27" with promotion, miniLED, etc. I was so close to just waiting it out, but quite happy that I pulled the trigger on the ASD instead of waiting for what would seem to be several years.
Same here. I didn't put much weight into the rumors though, given Apple's track record of waiting 5-10 years between launching updated standalone displays. The time between the Pro XDR and Studio Display was probably the shortest launch window, and it was still 2.5 years.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I hope he's right, I would love a 27-inch miniLED monitor.

But it'd better not be a replacement for the 32-inch Pro Display XDR. 27 inches is too small for an external monitor for many users.
It’s a computer monitor, not a tv. I still have people walk in my office , see my iMac and say wow your monitor is so huge . Bigger would just be even more crazy priced like Their car display or have worse resolution

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I can’t figure out why anyone thought it would come out this year. No way Apple was going to release a new version that monitor only a year after the original one.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Sounds like they had this in the works but the cost and possible tech limitations got in the way...if 2025 brings it great. I bought two ASD's for now and am very happy with them. Do I want HDR and Pro Motion...yes...just very curious what the price will be.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I for one am happy I didn't wait for the 2nd generation when the Studio Display first came out. I've been enjoying my displays immensely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.