Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Hi All,

I played around with the developer beta of Sequoia to try out games on the new GPTK. I was able to play a few games I couldn't previously so that was cool. Once I was done with that, I formatted, reinstalled sonoma, and loaded up a time machine back up (something I have done a few times before, without beta stuff). The thing is, my mac seems a little wonky ever since. Crashing while using safari, needing to be hard reset and all that. I looked at system info, and I noticed the System Firmware Version is still the same as it was with Sequoia installed, but the iBoot version is still the Sonoma one. In other words, I imagine the firmware version is in a "beta" state itself. I am wondering if there is an easy way to get back to the stable firmware version. I have AC+ and an apple store 15 mins away, so I guess worst case I can run to the apple store and have them roll it back or something, or I could try to see if a buddy can let me use their mac, but I am thinking this is something that should be simple to do on my own. I actually just re-formatted and have Sonoma installing right now from a flash drive (did a recoveryOS restore the first time). That might fix it for all I know. But while I am waiting figured I would ask/maybe someone else will look for this in the future. Anyone been down this road? I have a 16" M3 Pro.

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Fixed it. The USB install didnt change anything. I actually forgot that last year I bought a used 2019 16" Intel macbook pro as a throwaway for travel. Haven't used it since like new years so forgot it existed :D. I was able to use configurator from that and got my M3 Pro back to the sonoma firmware version and restored from time machine. Assuming now if i have any issues its not at all related to the beta and just coincidentally timed.

Siliconpsychosis

macrumors member
May 18, 2023
Although you have to use DFU mode to revert firmware, you dont actually have to lose all data. "Revive" will just replace firmware and recovery, and leave all other partitions alone. "Restore" will replace everything and wipe the machine

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Although you have to use DFU mode to revert firmware, you dont actually have to lose all data. "Revive" will just replace firmware and recovery, and leave all other partitions alone. "Restore" will replace everything and wipe the machine
Thanks, I already had reinstalled Sonoma from the flash drive, so I did a revive and then erased all content and settings and restored from my backup. Everything is working well, no more weird crashing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.