Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
Edit: I went with Recordia which works well.

I normally use Audio Hijack but that and the other software from Rogue Amoeba is disabled on macOS betas, I really wish they they just allowed users to use it and accept whatever bugs or issues would happen. Anyway, I want another app to record my mic, and automatically save it in a folder I choose. Preferably I'd like to be able to record other (virtual) audio devices on my mac too.

I did some searching on my own, including Reddit and I was surprised there aren't any good simple sound recorders or ones like Audio Hijack. I thought there would be more on Mac given they're targeted towards content creators.

Last edited:

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Rogue Amoeba software is in a class of its own. Regarding macOS betas: Every year, Rogue Amoeba users need to wait for the betas to settle down and Rogue Amoeba make the changes needed (sometime in August, perhaps). If you need it to work now, just go back to Ventura.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I normally use Audio Hijack but that and the other software from Rogue Amoeba is disabled on macOS betas, I really wish they they just allowed users to use it and accept whatever bugs or issues would happen.

Except people wouldn't accept the bugs/issues and would flood Rogue Amoeba support with them instead.

Reactions: gilby101

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
Not on Beta.
I use LoopBack. I have not tried Audio Hijack. What are the benefits of Audio Hijack over LoopBack or vice versa?
How do you like Recordia?
You can look it up on the Rogue Amoeba website, but basically Loopback is just for routing app audio and audio devices, while Audio Hijack lets you do more complex audio setups, the later can record audio to files while Loopback can't.

Actually with Recordia, I've forgotten to record things a few times (no big deal though), and I think its because its a menu bar app. This is why I sually prefer apps on my dock instead, because I always glance over it and close apps I'm not using. I'm thinking of spoofing my macOS version to use Audio Hijack again.

And I definitely won't complain if there's any bugs!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Recordia works without it.
For what source, microphone? Yes. Like any other app.
But for system audio, the Faq says:
"How can I record system audio?
Recordia doesn’t have a built-in way to record system audio because of App Store restrictions. However, you can achieve it by following the below steps:

Install the BlackHole audio driver
Set up a multi-output device
Select “BlackHole” as the input device in Recordia"
https://sindresorhus.com/recordia#faq

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
@960design So you're recording the audio routed with loopback into Quicktime or iMovie? Because loopback can't record audio, only route it.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
For what source, microphone? Yes. Like any other app.
But for system audio, the Faq says:
"How can I record system audio?
Recordia doesn’t have a built-in way to record system audio because of App Store restrictions. However, you can achieve it by following the below steps:

Install the BlackHole audio driver
Set up a multi-output device
Select “BlackHole” as the input device in Recordia"
https://sindresorhus.com/recordia#faq
Oh I didn't know that, I just thought it was recording my app audio, but then I realized that I thought that because the macOS mic captures speaker output. Windows and Linux filters out speaker output from mic audio.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
@960design So you're recording the audio routed with loopback into Quicktime or iMovie? Because loopback can't record audio, only route it.
Correct. Audio coming in from external mic and source file (video), combined in loopback and routed to iMovie, Quicktime or YouTube stream.

There is a free demo that lets you run something like 5 minutes to test it for your needs.

jcscol

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
The problem for the Rogue Amoeba software is that Sonoma has broken their Audio Capture Engine (ACE) plug-in.

So none of their software which uses this component (SoundSource, Audio Hijack, Loopback etc) will work with the betas at the moment.

• Sad
Reactions: 960design

Equibrilium

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2024
You can try BeMyEars app which also support sound recording, it's on AppStore so it should be consider safer. lastly it's cheaper :)

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
If we’re updating older posts, then let’s clarify that Rogue Amoeba apps all once again work well with each Mac OS out of beta and officially released.

newton4000

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
It works fine with the beta. Now that it doesn't need the kernel permission. Have had no issues.

Oneechan69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 29, 2022
US
For everyone seeing this now with the macOS 15 / Sequoia beta (and possibly later macOS versions) this question was for the macOS 14 / Sonoma beta. I won't respond to any replies here, if I do have similar questions I'll make new posts for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.