Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cristia29

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2023
Hi, I have a friend who recently acquired a Steam Deck with the aforementioned specs, and he mentioned that he's interested in getting a MacBook. I have a MacBook Air M1 and jokingly told him I would trade it for his Steam Deck, thinking he wouldn't want to, but he said he'd be willing to make the exchange. So here I am, what do you think?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What are you going to use it for? Looks as the Steam Deck is just a gaming device. M1 is that and much more.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
Considering that a Steam Deck with 16gb of RAM and 1tb of storage goes for about $790 and a 256 GB MacBook Air M1 is $699, that may be a good trade for you. :p

But it depends what you want to use it for. The Steam Deck is a good gaming device, and in theory you could turn it into a pretty decent general-purpose computer, so if you like to play lots of game or are willing to put in some work modifying the Steam Deck for your purposes, it might be a good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.