Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I am 99 percent certain I am going to mix it up a bit this time, and get the white Magic Keyboard to pair with the Space Black iPad Pro 13. From what I am seeing, the white holds up better and there is no shiny key caps over time. My only concern is the mismatched color of both.. not a huge deal I guess, but just curious if anyone else is doing this or has done this in the past. If in the past, how did it work out for you?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I have black and white MK (old version) and space grey & silver iPad Pro. Subjectively speaking, it looked weird if the white MK was paired with space grey iPad or vice versa.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I would never get a white keyboard for a device I travel with, but I have seen people put silver iPads in black keyboards and it looks alright to me. I prefer space gray/black colors myself so I am pairing my colors, but I don’t think it looks bad either way.

• Haha
Reactions: Apleeseed84

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I checked this out in store today. The IPad Pros looked a lot better when paired with their colour-matched Magic Keyboards imo.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I'm getting a silver iPP with a black MKB because Silver was all that was left available for launch day (and I didn't want to shell out for 2TB). I figure if it looks bad, I could just return it and get white.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I went for a mix to keep things interesting. Years down the line I might look for custom wraps to complete the Stormtrooper look.

dr34mc4st3r

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Singapore
I was tempted to get the white MKB for my 11" iPad Pro m4, but coming from my experience of using the equivalent Magic Keyboard for my Mac, the keys are gonna look crappy soon. No confidence on the white cover as well

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Same here. However, the cover is white, very white. I wonder how it will look like in a year from now. However, not going to return mine.

My previous Magic Keyboard was white (and used it with a space gray iPad Pro) and it held up really great.

jamesthegator

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
I have to admit that I accidently ordered the white keyboard with the black m4 ipad pro. When I realized what I had done, I decided to give it a try and see how it looked. Right away my mind wouldn't allow me to really embrace it because I felt like it wasn't supposed to be that way.... So I returned for the black keyboard.

If I'm being honest, I wish I had kept the white keyboard because a) it is a unique combo that actually looks pretty cool b) the black keyboard gets so many marks and c) I don't think the keys will age as well as the white.

Oh well, the black looks great as well. You really can't go wrong either way.

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
I got the silver ipad pro with the black Magic Keyboard and love the combo!

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
I got both a black and a white Magic Keyboard to see which looks better with the space black iPad Pro. I gotta say, the color matched black looks better. However, I’m torn. I know the black keys won’t age as well as the white keys. It’s easy enough to clean but a bit more of a hassle to maintain. I really want to keep the white color but the silver keyboard deck, subjectively, doesn’t look as cool as the black keyboard deck, at least when paired with the space black IPP.

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpeg
    IMG_2303.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2304.jpeg
    IMG_2304.jpeg
    725.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2306.jpeg
    IMG_2306.jpeg
    665.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2308.jpeg
    IMG_2308.jpeg
    607.4 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: flawless11

eba

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
I got both a black and a white Magic Keyboard to see which looks better with the space black iPad Pro. I gotta say, the color matched black looks better. However, I’m torn. I know the black keys won’t age as well as the white keys. It’s easy enough to clean but a bit more of a hassle to maintain. I really want to keep the white color but the silver keyboard deck, subjectively, doesn’t look as cool as the black keyboard deck, at least when paired with the space black IPP.
I thought about going with a black iPad and silver MK but decided that combination doesn’t look good. I went with all black instead and am happy so far. I’ll just be careful….

Reactions: Sean006

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
I am 99 percent certain I am going to mix it up a bit this time, and get the white Magic Keyboard to pair with the Space Black iPad Pro 13. From what I am seeing, the white holds up better and there is no shiny key caps over time. My only concern is the mismatched color of both.. not a huge deal I guess, but just curious if anyone else is doing this or has done this in the past. If in the past, how did it work out for you?
Personally prefer white MKB with silver iPP M4. more “Apple like “ in my opinion !

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
My M1 12.9 space grey was paired with a white Magic Keyboard and I loved it, this year with the aluminium its too much of a contrast so my space black M4 13 is paired with the space black Magic Keyboard.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Has anyone found a cover for the keys to keep them from getting shiny and oily looking like you can get for the MB and MBP? My 2020 MKB ended up looking very shiny very quickly, which was irritating for the price paid.
Found these on Amazon. I may go with the MasiBloom cover. So far I’ve been cleaning the keys with a cotton swab and alcohol.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Found these on Amazon. I may go with the MasiBloom cover. So far I’ve been cleaning the keys with a cotton swab and alcohol.

Thank you very much for replying. I ordered the first one just now :D My previous MKB was a dust magnet in addition to the shiny keys. Hopefully, the new one won't look so old after a short amount of time.

Reactions: beach bum

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Thank you very much for replying. I ordered the first one just now :D My previous MKB was a dust magnet in addition to the shiny keys. Hopefully, the new one won't look so old after a short amount of time.
You’re welcome! I have a love-hate relationship with keyboard covers. After a while they get kind of grungy and will leave imprints on the screen. I’ve gotten a screen protector but am debating if I want to get the keyboard cover. UGH! Decisions… 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.