Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Out on the bike yesterday with my trusty iPhone 8 in my pocket. Phone charged to 100% before leaving and everything working normally.
After an hour on the bike, stopped to look at the phone. Everything normal.
Continued pedalling and stopped again after another 40 minutes.
This time the phone was completely dead, black screen, wouldn't turn on.
Thought that the battery had run out of charge.
Back home, however, phone was unresponsive when I tried to charge it.
Completely dead.
Did all the volume up-down-side button many times.
Didn't do anything.
Left it charging overnight, still nothing.
Note, the phone has not been dropped or knocked against anything.
I suspect the battery has suddenly died for some reason although it seems this is not a frequent occurrence.
I'm thinking of changing the battery.
If it's anything other than that it's probably not worth fixing especially as I have two other newer phones.
Has anybody had a similar experience or any thoughts on what may have gone wrong?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Catastrophic total battery failure is unlikely, at least without some warning signs. I suppose it’s worth getting into a store to see if they can reset it but if it won’t power up at all likely it’s not worth repairing.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Even if the screen is dead there would be a sound when connecting the charger or when it turns on.
Not sure it will make much difference, but give it a try connecting it via cable to a computer running iTunes.
One option if the lightning port is broken is to try and use a Qi charger, then you know its the lightning port that's the issue.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Was it attached to the bike frame? - I wonder if the vibrations have done something to it?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Take it to a repair shop to get an estimate as to what they think might be the problem — if you care about this phone.
Then decide if you want to fix it or not (if it’s even fixable)

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Thanks to everybody for the replies and suggestions.

Even if the screen is dead there would be a sound when connecting the charger or when it turns on.
Not sure it will make much difference, but give it a try connecting it via cable to a computer running iTunes.
One option if the lightning port is broken is to try and use a Qi charger, then you know its the lightning port that's the issue.
Yes, I had already tried to connect the iPhone to iTunes on my MacBook, but it was not detected.
But I did try wireless charging the phone and it seemed to be charging (blue light with oscillating brightness).
However, even after 12 hours it still continued "charging" and this was after having been left overnight hooked up to a USB3 charger.
Now, as far as I'm aware, the oscillating blue light just means that the charging pad has detected the induction coil within the casing of the iPhone and is generating the necessary electromagnetic field to charge the battery.
However, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the blue light does not necessarily mean the phone is actually charging particularly if the battery is kaput for whatever reason.
With my charger here, an 1800 mAh Li-ion battery takes about 4-5 hours to charge wirelessly after which the blue light turns to a steady green.
As this didn't happen after 12 hours with the iPhone 8, even after being overnight cable charged, I'm concluding that the battery is not in good shape and may in fact have, sadly, ended its days.
Also, the battery is probably the easiest part to change within the iPhone (if I can manage to pull out those rather awkward white adhesive strips).
So that's the next step.
I'll report back with the results but give me a week as I still have to order the battery.

Reactions: Andeddu

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Also, the battery is probably the easiest part to change within the iPhone (if I can manage to pull out those rather awkward white adhesive strips).
So that's the next step.
I'll report back with the results but give me a week as I still have to order the battery.
Honestly it’s throwing good money after bad. The phone should power up, even if the battery is shot. The fact that it doesn’t indicates to me, something other than the battery.

Vaya con Dios.

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Well, Mr Freakin, looks like you were right.
I opened up the phone today, took out the battery, checked it with my multimeter and it showed a healthy 3.86V
So nothing wrong with the battery.
As I couldn't see any disconnects, I've decided it's time to say goodbye to an old cycling partner.
Y para cerrar, gracias por el saludo de despedida

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Not saying it would have made a difference to your device, but if you are getting a new device have a look at quadlock.

They make some cool mounts that works well on both motorcycles and bicycles.
And maybe you'll find an iPhone SE 2020 as a replacement for the 8, you can get used ones fairly cheap these days.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
My Mom got a battery last year for hers, I think it cost $60 installed.

...I have an extra 8 (blk, 256gb) I was thinking of sticking in the classifieds over the next couple days. Along with a ton of other Apple gear. I suppose I'll do that.

PaulFXH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
And maybe you'll find an iPhone SE 2020 as a replacement for the 8, you can get used ones fairly cheap these days.
Thanks for the suggestions.
But I already have an iPhone XR and an iPhone 12 in fully working condition.
However, both are bulkier and heavier than the iPhone 8 and I was looking for something more 'petite' for my cycling adventures.
Indeed, I had thought about the SE 2020 but noticed that it was considerably cheaper than a refurbished iPhone 8 which came out three years earlier.
Same memory, same condition but about 20% cheaper.
Any reason for this?

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thanks for the suggestions.
But I already have an iPhone XR and an iPhone 12 in fully working condition.
However, both are bulkier and heavier than the iPhone 8 and I was looking for something more 'petite' for my cycling adventures.
Indeed, I had thought about the SE 2020 but noticed that it was considerably cheaper than a refurbished iPhone 8 which came out three years earlier.
Same memory, same condition but about 20% cheaper.
Any reason for this?
Thats just strange that the SE2020 is cheaper than the eight, the SE is better in every aspect and still supported.
The only reason I could think of is that it is the iPhone 8+ (bigger version).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.