Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Next year's iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max models should feature Wi-Fi 7 support and an upgraded 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera lens, according to Jeff Pu, a tech analyst at Hong Kong investment firm Haitong International Securities. Pu revealed this information in a research note about the tech industry released today.

iPhone-15-Blue-Three-Quarters-Perspective-Feature.jpg

More details about these potential features are outlined below.

Wi-Fi 7

Wi-Fi 7 devices will be able to send and receive data over the 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz bands simultaneously, resulting in faster Wi-Fi speeds, lower latency, and more reliable connectivity. With technologies such as 4K QAM, Wi-Fi 7 is expected to offer peak data transfer speeds of over 40 Gbps, a 4× increase over Wi-Fi 6E.

Apple is still rolling out Wi-Fi 6E support to its devices. The key advantage of Wi-Fi 6E is support for the 6GHz band for increased bandwidth, whereas regular Wi-Fi 6 is limited to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Apple has so far added Wi-Fi 6E to the iPad Pro, 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro, Mac Studio, Mac Pro, and Mac mini, and the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are also expected to support the standard.

The progression would be as follows:
  • iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max: Wi-Fi 6
  • iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max: Wi-Fi 6E
  • iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max: Wi-Fi 7
48MP Ultra Wide Camera

An upgrade to a 48-megapixel Ultra Wide lens on the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max should allow the lens to capture more light, resulting in improved photos when shooting in 0.5× mode, especially in low-light environments.

iPhone 14 Pro models already have a 48-megapixel Main lens that uses "pixel binning" to merge data from four pixels on the camera's image sensor into one "super pixel" for improved low-light capture. With the iPhone 16 Pro models, this technology is expected to expand to the Ultra Wide lens, which is currently a 12-megapixel lens.

This also means that iPhone 16 Pro models should be able to shoot 48-megapixel ProRAW photos in Ultra Wide mode. These photos retain more detail in the image file for more editing flexibility, and can be printed at large sizes.

Timing

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 16 lineup in September 2024, so the devices are still over a year away from launching. Early rumors should always be treated with more skepticism, as Apple's plans could change over time.

It's also worth nothing that Wi-Fi 7 might not be finalized until late 2024, so there is a chance that the standard will not be ready in time for the iPhone 16 Pro.

Article Link: iPhone 16 Pro Said to Feature Wi-Fi 7 Support, 48MP Ultra Wide Camera

alayal

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2015
question: if the 48mp on the regular camera allow for x2 optical zoom, do this means the 48mp on the ultra wide will allow more than x0.5?

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
Very nice! sounds like a compelling upgrade.
Yep @TheYayAreaLiving 🎗️ that is why I am keeping my 14 ProMax which I love and not bothering with the ”S” upgrade that the 15 Pro Line appears to be (we shall see on the 12th/13th of course so I might change my mind then—last chance LOL).

The 16 Pro has the camera stuff that sounds like lots of major improvements which draws me, I only have pre WiFI. 6 router (the old Apple Extreme) still chugging away so not a draw, I find the 14 ProMax to be plenty fast for me, battery is fine (97 percent now and 108 cycles).

I also have and this is crucial to me personally, l an after purchase Mazda installed CarPlay in my 2015 Mazda 6. It is wired only and uses regular USB so to connect the new phones I will need a USB-3 to USB-c in the 15 and 16 so I can wait another year. I think I have one such cable near MacBook Pro M2 Pro 16 inch so I can update/backup iphone to macbook anyway so will maybe use it when I am fully USB-c on the 16 ProMax

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It took Apple years to put 6E on their devices. The iPhone still doesn’t have it and is rumored to get it this year. That’s over 2 years later than when the first smartphones got it.

But we’re supposed to believe they’ll shove the even newer WiFi 7 standard as soon as next year? Nah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.