Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's next-generation iPhone 15 Pro Max will likely be more expensive than the previous Pro Max model, according to Jeff Pu, a tech analyst at Hong Kong-based investment firm Haitong International Securities.

iphone-14-pro-max-deep-purple-feature-purple.jpg

In his latest research note, Pu predicted Apple's larger of the two upcoming Pro models will see a price increase higher than the $1,099 starting price of the current iPhone 14 Pro Max. Pu has previously suggested price increases for the iPhone 15 Pro models, but this is the first time he has singled out the Pro Max as costing more.

Pu doesn't specify why, but apart from a larger battery and display, the iPhone 15 Pro Max is widely expected to feature one major difference compared to the 6.1-inch iPhone 15 Pro – a periscope lens. Both Pro models will include telephoto lens technology as part of their three-camera array, but the iPhone 15 Pro Max is likely to exclusively feature a periscope lens that will enable 5x to 6x optical zoom, a notable improvement over the 3x zoom on the iPhone 14 Pro models.

A periscope lens system generally uses a primary lens to capture a photo, with an angled mirror or prism reflecting the light 90 degrees toward a second lens that then sends it to the image sensor. The image sensor and secondary lens are positioned sideways inside the smartphone to extend focal length, and that takes up valuable surface area.

In his latest note, Pu also said he expects the iPhone 15 series to enter mass production in August, which would be in line with previous years when Apple's iPhone lineup has been announced in September. Pu believes Apple will mass produce around 84 million units for the second half of 2023, with the two Pro models likely to be the most popular devices in the lineup in the first few months after launch.

All four iPhone 15 models are rumored to feature a USB-C port, the Dynamic Island, and a slightly more curved frame, while 12 additional features and changes are rumored for the Pro models.

Article Link: iPhone 15 Pro Max Predicted to Be More Expensive Than Previous Model

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: iLLUMI and gusmula

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Most probably finance the phone either thru Apple or a carrier. I have the money to buy things out right but when given the choice of payments and 0% finance, that is an easy choice for me. Apple also gives you 24 months to pay. A higher cost of the phone even at $100-200 ($200 = $8.33 x24) is still small when divided into 24 months.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Wouldn’t be surprised, but also, I feel like we’ve been hearing about a US price increase for years and years, and it just… Hasn’t happened.
The 14 Pro Max in the US ended up being the same price as the 13 PM, which was the exact same price as the 12 PM, which was the same price as the 11 PM, which was the same price as the XS Max.
So I always take these rumors with a grain of salt, especially since just in the last year we've seen apple drop prices on Mac Minis, MacBook Airs and the Apple TV.
I mean, before the 15 inch MacBook Air launched, common consensus was that it would start over $1500. It did not.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Not much of a prediction. The Pro phones are some of the best mass produced cameras you can buy and Apple are building in high computational features for photos that you used to need Photoshop for five years ago. And people will pay whatever Apple charge because phones have replaced laptops as the main expensive gadget people will spend big on.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Does that mean the price will be aligned with the international increase of last year or is it going to be even more expensive internationally?

The iPhone Pro Max already starts at 1,5k Euro here and we are not even talking about a Fold device with some new technology! Ridiculous, another reason to hold onto my 12 PM for yet another year (at some point I used to upgrade yearly)

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
What would be very welcome would be to do something between US $ prices and EU € and GBP £ prices. Atm we in the UK are massively overpaying for Apple products
Yeah I heard that before in Japan it’s even worse for pricing we pay the most on the contrary of other peoples comparisons.

Reactions: Brad7

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Most probably finance the phone either thru Apple or a carrier. I have the money to buy things out right but when given the choice of payments and 0% finance, that is an easy choice for me. Apple also gives you 24 months to pay. A higher cost of the phone even at $100-200 ($200 = $8.33 x24) is still small when divided into 24 months.

True, but they wouldn't offer those deals if people always followed through. They bank on the people that don't pay it off in 24 months and get hit with interest on the entire purchase price. Personally, I don't think you should be financing a $1000 purchase, with or without interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.