Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's newly announced M1 iPad Pro models boast a new video calling feature called Center Stage, which uses machine learning to automatically pan and zoom the front-facing camera to keep you center in the frame as you move around.

ipad-pro-center-stage.jpg

Apple envisages Center Stage being used for video calls that involve things like whiteboarding with coworkers or attending a virtual family gathering. Presumably the feature will also correct the problem of a user not appearing centered in the shot when the iPad is in landscape orientation.

During its announcement, Apple didn't explain whether it would be exclusive to FaceTime calls, but according to iOS developer Federico Viticci, third-party apps will be able to use Center Stage via an API framework, which could mean we'll one day see the feature enabled on Teams and Zoom calls.

Center Stage is made possible on the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro thanks to the new chipset and an improved TrueDepth camera system, which includes a a 12MP Ultra Wide front-facing camera with a 120° field of view, compared to the standard 7MP wide-angle front-facing camera on the previous generation models.

For that reason, it's unlikely that Center Stage will come to older iPads. The new 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799, while the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $1,099. Pre-orders begin April 30, with availability beginning in the second half of May.

Article Link: iPad Pro 'Center Stage' Camera Feature Will Support Third-Party Apps

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Is this going to be a real camera with autofocus and proper sharpness or the same ******** as the ultra-wide camera on iPhone that looks like a potato cam like our original 2007 iPhones

alastairn

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
Is the camera still on the top in portrait view? So if using with keyboard in landscape will Centre Stage still work?

SWAON

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Europe
Does it work when recording video with people as well or this is only limited to video calls?

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I hope they allow the eye correction feature in FaceTime to be used by other apps.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
My understanding is that this is only for the camera and doesn’t help FaceID work at more extreme angles— like when sitting flat on a desk? Does anyone know otherwise?

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
They show it working with the iPad in landscape mode. How would a "wide angle" lens help this work when the lens is turned 90 degrees in landscape mode? I assume it needs the FaceID sensors to work and that is why it is not on the iMacs but why not put FaceID on them too?

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Microsoft’s dream finally coming to fruition. Shame the Kinect had to be sacrificed, but it’s tech lives on.
Also screw Facebook and I say that as an owner of the Portal.

jjd

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2003
Is the camera still on the top in portrait view? So if using with keyboard in landscape will Centre Stage still work?
It still is. I cannot understand why they didn’t (finally) move the FaceTime camera to landscape orientation. WTF? 90% of people are going to use it in that mode. Especially in the case of the 12.9”. Instead you end up with the camera to the side. So stupid. There is a reason every laptop on earth has it in landscape orientation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.