Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mindfighter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
So the nano-texture in the new iPad is freaking awesome, I love it, so glad I toke a chance on it! Cleaning cloth provided is a much nicer than the old stiff cleaning cloth they are selling. Went to apple.com to order an additional cloth to have one at home and one when on the move, but can only find the older one. Anyone found the gen 2 cloth? :cool:

ShadowBailey

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
Same question here… any luck finding it ? I assume the one for sale here https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produ...a0534b91fb964628ac0843c53442f5d59ff3996758468 is the previous version.
A short update. I did a live chat with Apple who insisted the one for sale on the Apple Store is now the same as the ones included with the iPad Pro and not the same as the ‘gen 1’ cloth.

So I ordered one.

Arrived today. It is not the same as the one provided with the ipad, and appears to be a ‘gen 1’ cloth. I suspect they will all be like that, at least until they‘ve sold their stock of the gen 1, if the gen 2 is even available to buy !

Reactions: firoze and xsmett

firoze

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
A short update. I did a live chat with Apple who insisted the one for sale on the Apple Store is now the same as the ones included with the iPad Pro and not the same as the ‘gen 1’ cloth.

So I ordered one.

Arrived today. It is not the same as the one provided with the ipad, and appears to be a ‘gen 1’ cloth. I suspect they will all be like that, at least until they‘ve sold their stock of the gen 1, if the gen 2 is even available to buy !
I have just received my Polishing cloth (ordered online). It appears to be the Gen 1. Is the Gen 2 cloth thinner than the Gen 1? And are the fibres different?

firoze

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
So the nano-texture in the new iPad is freaking awesome, I love it, so glad I toke a chance on it! Cleaning cloth provided is a much nicer than the old stiff cleaning cloth they are selling. Went to apple.com to order an additional cloth to have one at home and one when on the move, but can only find the older one. Anyone found the gen 2 cloth? :cool:
When you say “much nicer” what exactly do you mean? Does it clean the screen better than the Gen 1 cloth?

firoze

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Gen 2 is slightly larger, seems thinner, softer and somehow smoother. Gen 1 is surprisingly rigid.
Thanks for the info. Do you feel the Gen 2 cleans the screen better? Am asking because a suspicion crossed my mind. Perviously the cloth was supplied only with the Pro Display XDR which would have sold in limited quantities, and a relatively few individual sales. Now anticipating that the nano texture iPad would sell in tens of thousands, I wonder whether Apple might be supplying a cheaper cloth. I could be entirely wrong, but the thought did cross my mind.

ShadowBailey

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
I find the gen 2 easier to use certainly, it cleans the screen on my iPad nano screen effortlessly. The more rigid nature of the gen 1 version makes it it bit less easier to use, and subjectively, it appears less effective.

firoze

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I find the gen 2 easier to use certainly, it cleans the screen on my iPad nano screen effortlessly. The more rigid nature of the gen 1 version makes it it bit less easier to use, and subjectively, it appears less effective.
Thank you, good to know that. I’ll buy the Gen 2 after a few months when I can be sure all the Gen 1 stock has been sold.

erratix

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2024
I can confirm the difference too.
I was so thrilled with this new cloth that I immediately went back and bought 2 more, asking them "you are sure it's the same?" and they said yes :(
I will return the "gen 1" cloths as they are more rigid, and more importantly they keep the magic keyboard from closing properly with the cloth inside.

I posted the question elsewhere before finding this thread:

if someone finds the new cloth, please ping us !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.