Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently introduced the sixth-generation iPad Air, featuring the M2 chip, Apple Pencil Pro support, and a larger display size option. In 2021, Apple debuted the sixth-generation iPad mini, offering an iPad Air-style redesign with a larger display, the A15 Bionic chip, and more.

ipad-mini-vs-air-early-2022.jpg

The iPad mini effectively shares the design of the iPad Air, with both devices possessing many of the same features such as an all-screen design with no Home button, Touch ID in the top button, and stereo speakers. There are still some important differences between the devices, such as their display sizes and chips, that clearly set the devices apart.

Should you buy the more expensive, larger iPad Air, or opt for the more affordable, smaller iPad mini? Our guide helps to answer the question of how to decide which of these two iPads is best for you. All of the key differences between the two devices are listed below:

iPad miniiPad Air
8.3-inch display with 326 ppi11-inch or 13-inch display with 264 ppi
SDR brightness: 500 nits max11-inch model SDR brightness: 500 nits max
13-inch model SDR brightness: 600 nits max
Smaller, compact design for maximum portabilityLarger design that is better for productivity
Weighs 0.66 pounds (297 grams)Weighs 1.02 pounds (462 grams) or 1.36 pounds (617 grams)
A15 Bionic chipM2 chip
6-core CPU8-core CPU
5-core GPU9-core GPU
4GB of memory8GB of memory
Media Engine
Hardware-accelerated H.264 and HEVC
Video decode engine
Video encode engine
Rear Quad-LED True Tone flash
Smart HDR 3Smart HDR 4
Wi-Fi 6 connectivityWi-Fi 6E connectivity
Apple Pencil hover
Supports Apple Pencil with USB-C and second-generation Apple PencilSupports Apple Pencil with USB-C and Apple Pencil Pro
Compatible with Bluetooth keyboards onlySmart Connector to support Apple's Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio
64GB or 256GB of storage128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB of storage
Available in Space Gray, Starlight, Purple, and PinkAvailable in Space Gray, Starlight, Purple, and Blue
Starts at $499Starts at $599 or $799

Overall, the iPad Air is the best all-around option for the majority of users, providing a large screen for productivity and consuming entertainment in a slim, portable design. The additional $100 needed to buy the iPad Air over the iPad mini is more than justified for the benefits that come with its larger display and M2 chip, not least the ability to practically use it as a laptop replacement with the Magic Keyboard and Stage Manager.

Yet, most customers who choose the iPad mini will do so because of its screen size rather than in spite of it. The iPad mini is ideal for comfortably reading books, playing handheld games, and easy transport and storage. Those who buy the iPad mini will likely have a specific use case in mind for how they will use the device, such as for note-taking on the go, throwing into a small bag to use on public transport, or giving it to a kid as their first tablet.

If you do not see the iPad mini's smaller display, easy one-handed grip, lightweight design, and portable form factor as an advantage for your use case and are focused on a more versatile display size, you will likely prefer the iPad Air, especially as it is now available with a 13-inch size option. The iPad Air is more of an all-around device that works as a potential laptop replacement with support for Stage Manager, with the added bonuses that come with a bigger screen for productivity and entertainment.

It is also worth noting that the iPad mini is almost three years old, while the iPad Air has just been refreshed, so the latter is almost certainly a better purchase in terms of longevity. A new iPad mini model is expected to launch later this year with a faster chip, so if you have your heart set on the smallest iPad it may be worth holding off until the refreshed version comes out.

Article Link: iPad Mini vs. iPad Air Buyer's Guide

Last edited:
Reactions: johnmarki

AmazeSE

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2017
So for $100 more you get a larger screen, M1 and double the RAM(8GB vs 4GB) with the iPad Air but lose portability.
The only reason to choose the Mini is for portability. If not the iPad Air is the way to go. The $100 price difference is worth it just for the M1 alone.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Those who buy the iPad mini will likely have a specific use case in mind for how they will use the device, such as for note-taking on the go, throwing into a small backpack to use on public transport, or sliding into a large pocket to use while working.

If you do not see the iPad mini's smaller display, easy one-handed grip, light weight, and portable form factor as an active advantage and are focused on a more versatile larger display, you will likely prefer the iPad Air. If you want more of an all-around device that works as a potential laptop replacement, with the added bonuses that come with a bigger screen for productivity and entertainment, the iPad Air will be the better option for you.
Good summary. The extra RAM in the iPad Air trumps the mini's true-tone flash for differences but for me it is all about the size of the iPad mini. I carry the thing everywhere.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Not that significant. I have compared them carefully in an Apple Store and iPad mini 6 is much significant.
Thats true. It’s less noticeable on my iPad Pro but more noticeable (than the mini) on older models like the iPad 3 and 4. In my opinion it’s still mostly a non-issue. The iPad mini 6 is my favorite ever iPad and I’d gladly pick it over my iPad Pro if I had to choose only one.

SamuelFleming

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Looks like Apple was lazy and wanted to save costs. They were too lazy to drill a hole for the flash and move the internal parts for the flash to fit. Anyway flash in not that important/useful in an iPad right?
Looking at older Airs it appears they haven't ever had a flash. It is one of a very few things that differentiates it from the iPad Pro 11". I bet it was somewhat a matter of just holding the line, somewhat a matter of cost, and somewhat a matter of product differentiation.

torontotim

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the market for a 'mid size' iPad and will wait for the next 11" Pro thanks. For $200 more than the Air, the 11" Pro gives you double the storage, better cameras (not that important), will get the mini-LED promotion screen and whatever benefits they bring to the entire Pro line in terms of Magsafe, M2 processor etc.

$200 well spent to have the better device and higher resale value relatively speaking. If you keep it for 5-10 years till it's obsolete, then the $200 is a bargain for the more future-proof features. If you sell in 3 years to upgrade you'll recoup most if not all the $200 price difference when you sell.

The only downside of spending $200 more on the Pro vs. Air is if you damage/lose the device. Then you're out the $200.

Wait for the 11" Pro if you can.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
In short buy the Mini if you really have to, because its costing you more considering how fast it would age, relatively.

Reactions: IJBrekke

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
I'm in the market for a 'mid size' iPad and will wait for the next 11" Pro thanks. For $200 more than the Air, the 11" Pro gives you double the storage, better cameras (not that important), will get the mini-LED promotion screen and whatever benefits they bring to the entire Pro line in terms of Magsafe, M2 processor etc.

$200 well spent to have the better device and higher resale value relatively speaking. If you keep it for 5-10 years till it's obsolete, then the $200 is a bargain for the more future-proof features. If you sell in 3 years to upgrade you'll recoup most if not all the $200 price difference when you sell.

The only downside of spending $200 more on the Pro vs. Air is if you damage/lose the device. Then you're out the $200.

Wait for the 11" Pro if you can.
You're assuming no price increase when it gets mini-LED. The 12.9" was bumped up by $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.