Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2024
hi!
i have a macbook pro from mid-2018, 15-inch. recently, i created a bootable drive using os ventura with my mac on os sequoia beta in an attempt to downgrade to ventura. after updating to ventura to sonoma, my mac started lagging, only when not plugged in charging. i don't think this was caused by the beta version. during the downgrade attempt, i repeatedly encountered errors stating the os installation failed due to perceived damage.

to troubleshoot, i erased my drive and removed the device from icloud, which i thought might also remove the os, based on online advice. however, this didn't resolve the issue. now, whenever i try to restart and reinstall sonoma, because ventura was working on my bootable drive. my macbook automatically enters internet recovery mode instead of normal recovery mode.

each time i connect to my wi-fi and attempt to proceed, it fails, displaying a globe with a warning sign and directing me to support.apple.com/mac/startup, along with error codes like -1008f or -2008f. i've tried key combinations like command + r or command + option + r, but nothing seems to work. every startup leads back to internet recovery mode. i've attached some images for reference. i would appreciate any help!

Attachments

• IMG_6944.jpeg
    IMG_6944.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6948.jpeg
    IMG_6948.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6957.jpeg
    IMG_6957.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6945.jpeg
    IMG_6945.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 19

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Here's what I'd suggest

PRINT THIS OUT AND SAVE IT.

Re-do the bootable flashdrive.
You need a flashdrive 32gb or larger.

IMPORTANT:
I recommend that you use the FREE utility called "Mist" to both download a fresh copy of Ventura AND create the bootable installer, all in one integrated process.

Get "Mist" here:
(download the "dmg" file)

You will see how it works once you launch it.
MAKE SURE your "target" flashdrive is formatted to HFS+ before you run Mist.
(Mac OS extended, journaling enabled, GUID partition format)

Once the flashdrive is done, power off the Mac.
Now boot from the flashdrive.

You are going to need to ERASE THE ENTIRE INTERNAL DRIVE.
So... once you're booted from the flashdrive, if the installer opens first, DON'T RUN IT.

Instead, quit the installer for now and open disk utility.
VERY IMPORTANT STEP:
Go to the view menu and choose "show all devices".
You can't see the internal drive unless you do this !

Now, look at "the list on the left".
The "topmost" item should be the internal SSD.
Click on it to select it, then click "erase".
Erase to APFS, GUID partition format.

Quit disk utility and open the OS installer.

Start clicking through.
The Mac should reboot several times, and the screen will go dark for a minute or more with no other indication of activity. Be patient.

At the end of the install, you'll see the initial setup screen (choose your language).
You should connect your back NOW, before you start clicking further.

Setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate.
Whether you do is up to you.

Good luck.

Reactions: martinime

martinime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2024
thank you so much for your response. do i need to remake the bootable drive on another mac? i cannot use my mac because it is stuck in internet recovery mode. i had already remade the drive on another mac and tried installing it, but it goes into internet recovery mode and then shows an error. i'm not sure what to do to get out of internet recovery.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
When you try to boot from the flashdrive, are you doing so from "completely shut down"?
Are you holding down the OPTION key CONTINUOUSLY?

To make sure the MBP is shut down, press and HOLD the power on button CONTINUOUSLY for about 6 seconds, until the display goes dark.

Hmmm....
Those MBPs had the "butterfly" keyboards, right?
Do you have a WIRED USB keyboard you could plug in and use?
If so, try that.

Reactions: martinime

martinime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2024
thank you all! i finally fixed it all i had to was move my mac directly next to the wifi and it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.