Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Hello. I just downloaded Canon's EOS Utility for my R6 and installed it. When I open the app it says "To open zoom.us you need to install Rosetta." I have never downloaded Zoom so why is it asking me to install? What does Zoom have to do with the EOS Utility? I don't want to install Zoom. This is the ONLY app that I have that requires Rosetta. It's 2024 Canon, update to the M series chips please.

I can't even open the Read Me file as it asks the same thing.

Do I need to install zoom for this utility to work?

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 9.13.55 PM.png

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I don't have a use for EOS Utility but I do have some other Canon utilities installed and they're Apple silicon compatible without Rosetta, so I'm kind of surprised that one isn't. It also seems weird that it has an old version of Zoom bundled, I could see maybe the EOS Webcam Utility but even that would be weird. Is there anything you need the EOS Utility for that can't be done with another piece of (probably more up-to-date non-Canon) software?

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Hopefully this gives you the information you need.
In plain English the app you are trying to install was designed for the Intel Macs, and needs Rosetta 2 to run on the M chip variety of Mac.

FWIW I've owned at least 9 different digital cameras and have never found a compelling reason to install the manufacturers software on my computers.

Up to you as to whether or not you chose to go ahead and install.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Hi @mackmgg .

This is the latest version of the EOS Utility. I’m installing it on a new Mac which doesn’t have Zoom. I’m more confused that it needs Zoom to run. Why does it need Zoom? It doesn’t say on Canon’s site that it needs Zoom. And the installer didn’t mention Zoom. I don’t think previous versions required it- though I did I have Zoom already installed before I downloaded EOS Utility on my old Mac. I do have an old disk image of the Utility, but it’s Rosetta based. I thought by now it would have been updated to Silicon.

As for my use, I use it to cull and download images then erase the images from the card once downloaded. I could use Image Capture instead.

Thanks for your reply.

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Why not just click "not now" and leave it at that?
I do that and the Utility quits. Needs Zoom and Zoom apparently isn’t Silicon native. I would think by now all of Canon’s software should be Silicon native. This is the latest software released a few weeks ago. Why is Canon requiring Zoom and if they bundled it, it should be made clear on their site. It’s not listed anywhere. I’ll stick with Image Capture for now.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Well, here's what I'd suggest.

Go through the full Canon install, including BOTH Zoom and Rosetta2 (the latter is an Apple product and harmless).

Once the install has been completed, use the small free app named "AppCleaner" to completely remove Zoom.

Rosetta is small, invisible, and hurts nothing, never running unless the OS needs it. I'd just let it be.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Another option might be to install Zoom from Zoom's own site: presumably the current version (as opposed to the one bundled with EOS Utility) is Arm-native.

I can't fathom why a camera utility would have a dependency on a videoconferencing system in the first place though!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Per the Canon site, there is a video conferencing component: maybe an old install of that is triggering via the newer version?

kgphotos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
Ok. I think I got it! Here’s what I believe is happening. Canon came out with this … https://www.usa.canon.com/cameras/eos-webcam-utility

I believe they are now sneaking this webcam utility into the plain EOS Utility to try and get you to subscribe to this new utility. If I remember, there was webcam utility that installed as well. I didn’t pay much attention to it as I was just interested in the EOS Utility. The regular EOS Utility is at 3.18.5 released in June and is still not Silicon native, however this new webcam utility is. Which would explain why Zoom is now bundled with the regular EOS Utility and why this version of Zoom requires Rosetta. This is the only app that I have that requires Rosetta. I guess Canon isn’t planning on making the regular Utility native anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.