Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The popular repair website iFixit today shared a video with teardowns of the new 13-inch iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil Pro. The website praised the inclusion of adhesive pull tabs for the battery cells in the new iPad Pro, as they make repairs easier.

We already shared another iPad Pro teardown video, so the look inside the Apple Pencil Pro is the novel aspect here. Key hardware changes introduced with the Apple Pencil Pro include a gyroscope that allows you to rotate the accessory for precise control of shaped pen and brush tools, and a haptic engine that vibrates for certain actions. You can also track the location of the Apple Pencil Pro in the Find My app.

Apple Pencil Pro is priced at $129 in the U.S. and launched on Wednesday.

Article Link: iFixit Shares 13-Inch iPad Pro and Apple Pencil Pro Teardown Video

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
I remember first buying the 13” 2018 pro and then later returning it for the 11”. I found that unless I wanted to use it as a full time computer the 13” was just too big and heavy to use as a tablet. Hopefully that’s changed a bit with the 13” being lighter but I still usually use my 11” in a keyboard laptop set up and find the screen plenty big enough.

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
I remember first buying the 13” 2018 pro and then later returning it for the 11”. I found that unless I wanted to use it as a full time computer the 13” was just too big and heavy to use as a tablet. Hopefully that’s changed a bit with the 13” being lighter but I still usually use my 11” in a keyboard laptop set up and find the screen plenty big enough.

Yes - its a big difference - if you hold the 2018 and 2024 iPads Pros side by side the new one is so much thinner and lighter. Its still quite a big tablet but no longer as heavy.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Yes - its a big difference - if you hold the 2018 and 2024 iPads Pros side by side the new one is so much thinner and lighter. Its still quite a big tablet but no longer as heavy.
The weight difference to the 2020/2021 is much starker, it’s a 15% reduction vs. only 8% from the 2018.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I might be crazy but when it comes to tablet I prefer it thicker
I don't think that's crazy, there's nothing wrong with wanting something you can grip (which is why I'd hate for Apple to shrink the bezels further). Weight, however, I think is a different story. I'd be happy with something I can grip which is still light.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
I don't think that's crazy, there's nothing wrong with wanting something you can grip (which is why I'd hate for Apple to shrink the bezels further). Weight, however, I think is a different story. I'd be happy with something I can grip which is still light.
What I mean is that people in here seems to prefer thinner device for easier prehension , unless I'm misunderstanding. I'd say thinner phone are nicer (though that too is debatable) but thin tablets don't do well , from a pure physical standpoint... The fact that the area is bigger and requires a different angle to be held at makes the thinner surface more painful to use it with. Then again it all makes sensre in my head but perhaps am.i completely wrong, you get me ?

Reactions: Abstract

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
What I mean is that people in here seems to prefer thinner device for easier prehension , unless I'm misunderstanding. I'd say thinner phone are nicer (though that too is debatable) but thin tablets don't do well , from a pure physical standpoint... The fact that the area is bigger and requires a different angle to be held at makes the thinner surface more painful to use it with. Then again it all makes sensre in my head but perhaps am.i completely wrong, you get me ?
Having owned both the 2018 12.9 and 2024 13 inch iPads - the new one just seems easier to handle. Its partly the weight but also seems to be the fact that its thinner. Why that is I don't know.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I don't have the patience for videos at all. Write it down, or I'll just do without.
This kind of video has value in watching it to see the relationships and scale. You don’t get that from a written description or even the status shots. I hope that they still publish this as a web page with images, too, but the video is more interesting to watch.

Edit: iFixit does publish their teardown in written form with static images for those who don’t like videos.

If you go to the video on the YouTube site and look in the description, the link to the blog post is there.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Having owned both the 2018 12.9 and 2024 13 inch iPads - the new one just seems easier to handle. Its partly the weight but also seems to be the fact that its thinner. Why that is I don't know.
How is the weight distribution, esp using MKB. Is it as top heavy as models before?

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Am I the only one who hates these quirky teardown videos they've started putting out?

Web teardown articles with high resolution photos was a much superior format.
It has gone downhill for sure. Not just iFix it but also detailed reviews. It’s mostly clickbait stuff, I miss those Arstechnica detailed reviews with multiple pages, same with Anandtech back in the day.

escargot3

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
It has gone downhill for sure. Not just iFix it but also detailed reviews. It’s mostly clickbait stuff, I miss those Arstechnica detailed reviews with multiple pages, same with Anandtech back in the day.
I agree generally, although Ars is still doing those types of reviews for the most part.

MAlbi

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
Nice video, thanks for that.
Sorry for nitpicking. Who are consumers reducing carbon footprint ? Are consumers consuming ? It comes to my mind, that this very warm statement actually describes the logic behind ewaste. Logic that dictates that, currently there is healthy consumption and an unhealthy one. I still hope that customer common sense will prevail.

Reactions: Abstract

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I agree generally, although Ars is still doing those types of reviews for the most part.
Not as well. Siracusa was amazing at writing technical articles I'd set time aside to read and enjoy. I'm sure I'm in a small minority, so I'm not really shocked that they've gone away, but I used to come away feeling educated.

I don't have the patience for videos at all. Write it down, or I'll just do without.

Yeah, I'm the same. There's no easy way to scan a video for the parts you want, and some seem to intentionally draw out the presentation for better monetization or because they think they're more entertaining than they are.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
This kind of video has value in watching it to see the relationships and scale. You don’t get that from a written description or even the status shots. I hope that they still publish this as a web page with images, too, but the video is more interesting to watch.
Problem with videos are you can’t scan through, go back and forth to find information. Video works great if there is a story or narrative to be told. For technology, when you have to compare data, look at designs, and move back and forth, video is terrible. I am not wasting 20 mins watching a video when a well written analysis could take 5-10 mins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.