Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Since upgrading to Ventura PB1, every time my monitors wake up from sleep, my desktop icons are all over the place.

I have a few icons on my desktop; Master, a few external SSDs, and my mounted network shares - all-in-all 13 of them. In Monterey, these icons stayed where I had put them, and in the order I want. However, in Ventura, they get all moved around when the monitors go to sleep. Muy hard disks to go sleep, as do my monitors, but not the actual Mac.

I tried using SwitchResX to save the "desktop", and then I can just restore when this happens, but SwitchResX is still in beta also, and this doesn't work yet.

Any suggestions?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
change some settings in finder>view>show view options? just to see if you can affect this (ie resizing the icons, changing how they're presented). you can always then change it back to how you had it.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
It seems it is just the location of the icons on the desktop that is affected.

I run my two monitors in 4K, and I suspect that when the Mac/monitors come out of sleep, they revert to a lower resolution and then switch back to 4K, which is what is moving the icons around. But, I can't say for sure as this is happening as I am typing in my password.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
I have the same issue.
4 drive icons on the desk, main drive and 3 externals (one acting as TimeMachine).

Every time the computer comes out from sleep the icons are reshuffled around the desk. Kinda annoying.

My monitor runs in 4K as well, and I noticed that a few windows get moved/resized when the computer sleeps. I would normally find the Figma app window lowered at 50% the height of the monitor. Same issue with Photoshop and After Effects.

Trying to find a fix because it's kinda annoying to have all the window and icons "reshuffled" after the computer is sleeping or the screen gets locked.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I am not sure, but I think my issues got resuloved when I installed SwitchResX, which seemed to sort out the resoltion settings on my monitors better than macOS did on its own.

er-minio

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2022
London
Thanks! Will have a look.

Since last week the icon reshuffle seems to be even more random (most icons are moved towards the bottom of the monitor).

Thessman

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2005
GR
the solution is, or seems to be in my case, to adjust the desktop grid spacing to a higher value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.