Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
So I got my iPad Air 13“ + Pencil Pro yesterday, and one of the first things I tried was Goodnotes, as it is pretty much my most-used app. I noticed immediately that something was “off“ and writing felt really weird. So I drew a line across the screen, and the line lagged behind the Pencil noticeably. When I draw quite quickly, the line is about half an inch behind the Pencil tip. I started up Procreate, and it‘s basically the same.

I tried annotating a screenshot, and there is hardly any lag at all, so I assume it‘s a software issue that can be fixed by an update. Still weird though that two Editor‘s Choice apps would exhibit that kind of behaviour - because they are nearly unusable for me that way.

Anyone else noticed that? Or did I get a faulty piece of hardware after all?

Reactions: Tuskerbe

mgeduld

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2024
I'm having the same issue. I get a lag in Adobe Fresco and Procreate when I try to draw. Sometimes the Pencil Pro stops working in those apps complete, and I have to wait a few seconds before I can draw again.

I took the M4 iPad to the Apple Store. They tried using a different pencil on it. Same issue. So they figured it was the iPad and replaced it. When I got it home and set it up, I still had the same pencil-lag issues. As I only use the iPad for art, it's useless to me. I've gone back to using my old iPad.

• Haha
Reactions: thenumbersrbad

Prof MTS

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2024
I am having the same problem on GoodNotes, Notability, Apple Notes, and Myscript Calculator. Apple support is sending a replacement Apple Pencil Pro. I agree that it seems like a software issue, but Apple appears to have not reached that conclusion yet. I sent Apple Support IPad diagnostic data and the first level support said all software and hardware tests were passed, FWIW. In my case the lag is almost zero after a restart and increases with use. Sounds to me like a memory management issue.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
I saw some threads on Reddit about this, where people got replacement iPads and Pencils, and it didn‘t fix anything. I don‘t have any problems whatsoever in „native“ Apple apps like Notes. There, it feels just like the old Apple Pencil, where the line I draw basically feels like it is coming straight from the tip of the Pencil. Procreate has supposedly acknowledged the problem to users, so I hope there will be an update soon.

The problem is not just that the line lags behind the Pencil in GoodNotes. The Pencil also continues to write for a fraction of a second after I lift it up, so I end up having little „hooks“ on letters when I write quite quickly. So in general it seems that the software is slow in reacting to certain events coming from the Pencil.

Tuskerbe

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2022
My daughter is having the same problem with her iPad Air 13" and Pencil Pro in both Procreate and Apple Notes. It lags only with the Pencil Pro, no lag when using your finger to draw. An iPad reboot fixes the problem temporarily.

Update: I read in another forum where someone turned the "Zoom" switch off in the accessibility settings which seems to be working.

Last edited:

Unnamed1

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
Update: I read in another forum where someone turned the "Zoom" switch off in the accessibility settings which seems to be working.

This has been bugging me for days and I couldn’t find a way to stop the pencil lag - it works fine in Apple Notes.

Turning off zoom in accessibility fixes this for me in ProCreate and PS - thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.