Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Hey. One of my old AirPort Express gen 1 802.11n base stations died so I bought a cheap one on Ebay. Unfortunately I can not configure it. The AirPort Utility on my M1 MacBook Air can see it but it says this version of the AirPort Utility does not support this base station. What? How did apple screw this up? I downloaded an older version of the app but that won't install under Sonoma.

So I tried it with my iPhone 12 mini and the iOS AirPort Untilty app said the same. Then I tried my old iPad mini 3 hoping that it had an older version of the app installed, but the same result. Finally I fired up Windows on Parallels and downloaded the Windows version of the AirPort Express App, but this one could not even see the old AP Express nor the one base station I had and still was working. So the Windows app was useless.

Any ideas how I can set it up? How can I find an old version of the App that will run on the old iPad running iOS 12.5.7? Or why can't the Windows version of the AirPort Utility see any of the base stations? Is it because of Parallels? Or can I set it up by ethernet instead of Wifi?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Cables didn't work. Tried ethernet and USB. But I finally made it work using the old Windows app.

Had to dive into the Parallels settings. By default it acts as its connected to the internet via network cable, although my Mac was using wifi. So the Airport Utility couldn't see the AirPort Express. Had to manually deselect the internet and find out how to connect Windows to my wifi. Once that worked the Airport Utility found the AP Express and I could set it up for my wifi. It works now and is visible in my network but whenever I would have to change anything I would need to use the Windows AP Utility app. The Mac and iOS app can only see the base station but can't edit anything.

I thought I could fix this by upgrading the firmware but I couldn't update it because the AP Express is not actually the 1st gen like the one I wanted to replace. Its older. What a dumb naming idea from Apple.

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
I've just followed exactly the same route as you. How did you get Windows to connect to wifi after you deselected the internet?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I am pretty sure I deselected the internet from the Parallels menu and selected the Wifi from within some hidden Windows system menu. But I can't find it anymore. Should have written it down better, I may need it some day. Sorry.

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
Thanks for your reply and don't worry. I managed to find how to connect to the internet in Windows via the control panel but I didn't realise that I needed to deselect from the parallels menu. I'll give it a go.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Cables didn't work. Tried ethernet and USB. But I finally made it work using the old Windows app.

Had to dive into the Parallels settings. By default it acts as its connected to the internet via network cable, although my Mac was using wifi. So the Airport Utility couldn't see the AirPort Express. Had to manually deselect the internet and find out how to connect Windows to my wifi. Once that worked the Airport Utility found the AP Express and I could set it up for my wifi. It works now and is visible in my network but whenever I would have to change anything I would need to use the Windows AP Utility app. The Mac and iOS app can only see the base station but can't edit anything.

I thought I could fix this by upgrading the firmware but I couldn't update it because the AP Express is not actually the 1st gen like the one I wanted to replace. Its older. What a dumb naming idea from Apple.
I'm a little confused. What model Airport Express are we talking about here? There are only two generations of the Airport Express.

I have had recent experience with setting up a Gen 2 (a1392).

After a factory reset, it should just show up in your (modern iOS) phones WiFi picker near the button with a special option that says 'Setup New Airport Express' or some such.

Thats how I remember getting it setup. Honestly I am surprised Apple still supports the AE Gen 2 (much less Gen 1), and I an thankful they do! It's the cheapest way to get a wired airplay 2 solution for more whole house audio zones.

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
According to the info that I can just about read on the device it is AirPort Express A1088 - 2007 first generation. However, while attempting to unearth related information on the web, I've discovered a whole load of sites that offer possible solutions. And you can still buy this model on EBay, so it must be possible to use it somehow.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
There are three generations of devices: AirPort Express (produced 2004-2008), AirPort Express 1. Gen (2008-2012) and AirPort Express 2nd Gen (2012-2018). So when I purchased my replacement from Ebay instead of Gen 1 I accidentally got the previous generation which was not supported by the current AirPort Utility app so I had to use the old Windows app to set it up.

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
I can't get Windows to set it up. It shows Airport Utility but asks for a password. Web information has suggested several that I've tried and also suggested resetting AU. None of those have worked and I can't get past the password window.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
According to the info that I can just about read on the device it is AirPort Express A1088 - 2007 first generation. However, while attempting to unearth related information on the web, I've discovered a whole load of sites that offer possible solutions. And you can still buy this model on EBay, so it must be possible to use it somehow.
Yeah I was using two old AirPort Express 1st Gen devices as Wifi range extenders and to stream music to my old sound system. You can still use the AirPort Utility app from the iPhone or Mac to manage them.

So when one of the two devices died and I got a replacement from eBay I was very surprised to find out there was an even older version that Apple for some reason stopped supporting in their own utility app.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I can't get Windows to set it up. It shows Airport Utility but asks for a password. Web information has suggested several that I've tried and also suggested resetting AU. None of those have worked and I can't get past the password window.
Which device gen do you have? Check the label. Does it say A1084 or A1088?

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
i use both airports from their introduction and with airplay to a Bose stereo cd player now.
these airports also worked with windows 10 and 11, after disabling a silly thing i forgot what that was called
but that was in the network settings in the proxy setting, that was 2019 tho.
there is also a reset were one needs to press the indent button with a pen or paperclip
that resets the entire airport were one can add a new password and even a guest option.

Screen Shot 2024-07-07 at 10.10.19 AM.png

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
It shows up on the Mac but states that it's too old. On Windows, I still need a password. Done the factory rest a few times but still no joy. However, last time I did it, it blinked green a few times then went to solid amber. Received wisdom was to disconnect and leave for twenty minutes, then plug in again. If still solid amber, bin it. However, it is now happily flashing amber at me so there is still hope.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
It shows up on the Mac but states that it's too old. On Windows, I still need a password. Done the factory rest a few times but still no joy. However, last time I did it, it blinked green a few times then went to solid amber. Received wisdom was to disconnect and leave for twenty minutes, then plug in again. If still solid amber, bin it. However, it is now happily flashing amber at me so there is still hope.
Holy tim cook-batman, the airport acually says "too old" ?
wow, i ran Sonoma on my airports with out a problem
beside sonoma being sonoma

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
There are three generations of devices: AirPort Express (produced 2004-2008), AirPort Express 1. Gen (2008-2012) and AirPort Express 2nd Gen (2012-2018). So when I purchased my replacement from Ebay instead of Gen 1 I accidentally got the previous generation which was not supported by the current AirPort Utility app so I had to use the old Windows app to set it up.
Ah yes. The pre 802.12n models. You dont want those at all.

sunnyjohn2

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2017
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 11.27.38 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 11.24.40 AM.png

I've been running Win 7 on Virtual machine and I thought I might get a better result via Win 10 on Parallels. Downloaded Airport Utility 5.1 no problem, but it still won't recognise my device. So tried going into the file menu and Configure other... and got the password window. Tried both my wifi provider's password and the router password, then several other suggestions from the web. Also tried resetting the device. Still no-go. The update didn't work either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.