Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Dang! Guess I need to throw out my Sanyo Katana, my HTC Touch Pro, my iPhone 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 6+, 6s+ and my Pixel 3a XL. Oh, and also my iPad 6th gen.

;)
Nah, the 6th gen can still run iOS 17 and the 6S with iOS 15 has gotten some updates. But Apples lack of comms on what iOS versions that are still supported makes it hard to know if they will deliver security updates.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Nah, the 6th gen can still run iOS 17 and the 6S with iOS 15 has gotten some updates. But Apples lack of comms on what iOS versions that are still supported makes it hard to know if they will deliver security updates.
I was kidding…:D

My 6, 6+ and Pixel are on charger right now. Going to do something with them today.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
What iPhone model do you have? Your OP does not mention anything...

2015 - iPhone 6s
2016 - iPhone 7/SE 2016
2018 - iPhone XR/XS
2019 - iPhone 11/11 Pro
2021 - iPhone 13/13 Pro
2024 - iPhone 16/16 Pro

Reactions: Parowdy

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
If you don't use it for photography/videography and the apps you use still work with iOS 15.x [assuming you installed or allowed the iPhone to install updates], just upgrade once those apps no longer function and ask for a newer version... You can refer to my previous post on what iPhone models I consider a good upgrade...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If all iPhones were free, then the choice would be easy - get a new one.
But they’re not and their price is often the deciding factor.

So pick one you can afford. The newer, the better (theoretically)

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
Come to think of it, when is MacRumors going to pop up a board or two for vintage iOS devices, a la the PowerPC Macs section? :)
Hard to say if they ever would. Who’s still rocking an iPhone 3GS as a daily driver phone? (Before you laugh, I saw people daily driving 10+ year old PowerBooks [including Old World ROMs] back after the Intel transition. I think the appeal was that 1) it was hardware they already had and 2) it was offline so it was distraction free.)

There might still be mission critical software for some companies running on old PPC Macs. There probably isn’t mission critical software running on an old iPhone 3GS (really, it’s more older games that people are interested in when it comes to older iPhones).

All that is to say that, outside of collectors and people nostalgic for niche mobile apps/games of yesteryear (or people trying to document niche mobile device accessory hardware of yesteryear*), there’s probably not all that much interest in running older iPhones.

* Back in the 30-pin days, I had a radio dongle for my iPod touch that tuned in HD Radio. It would be cool to figure out how it communicated with the HD Radio app. I could see someone going over it in a YouTube video in the future similar to how someone might go over the first party iPod radio (or random MP3 player accessories, a la DankPods) these days. Maybe we’ll see MacRumors add such a board in 5 to 10 years time (though, of course, the original iPhone will be 20 years old in 3 years**).

** Sorry, this realization makes me feel as old as it probably makes you feel!

Adora

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2024
I just upgraded from an SE (2016) to a "like new" refurbished SE (2022) for half the price than it's sold by Apple and also purchased an SE (2020) as a spare phone for a very low price, also refurbished like new.

For cases I need a bigger screen I have an 8 Plus since release and also just purchased a second one for very cheap.

All of those except the SE1 what still sometimes is in use have 256GB.

I won't upgrade to any phone that will permanently scan my eyes and I like the Home Button. Also everything still works fine for me, just the SE1 got a little small and I think after the release of iOS 18 some banking apps might not get a required update anymore for iOS 15.

So I still have a few years left to stay with Apple and will decide what to do when the time has come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.