Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Considering to buy a smart speaker. I am using Spotify, because unfortunately Apple Music lacks a decent algorithm. This complicates my choice.
I don’t know what to buy. I would buy one speaker. I think B&O is gorgeous but too expensive. Bose like the 500 has great designs but seems not to offer the best audio quality. Sonos is ugly but offers good audio quality. And then there’s the HomePod 2.

Your recommendation?

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Considering to buy a smart speaker. I am using Spotify, because unfortunately Apple Music lacks a decent algorithm. This complicates my choice.
I don’t know what to buy. I would buy one speaker. I think B&O is gorgeous but too expensive. Bose like the 500 has great designs but seems not to offer the best audio quality. Sonos is ugly but offers good audio quality. And then there’s the HomePod 2.

Your recommendation?
You may consider another option:

A 2nd gen airport express (or other airplay 2 interface) + amp + regular speakers.

If you must have 'smart speakers', honestly I'd suggest a trio (or 4?) of Homepod minis scattered about your living space so you can enjoy 'whole home' audio.

Having reasonable-volume music everywhere (for me) is better than a single speaker in another room turned up loud.

But, if you think, 'But, I want real sound!', then get regular speakers. If you really can tell the difference, it's money better spent.

If you think, 'But, speakers are ugly!', then, yeah, dunno buy the prettiest one :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.