Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I asked a local iPlace store to replace the IPP 10.5 battery. They didn't have (and for iPADs, it's not just the battery that is replaced) and sent the wrong color (mine was SPACE GRAY). So Apple is about to deliver me the new IPP 11, from what I combined with them, it's the M4 (2024) in black. 256 GB, wifi + cel.

When I had the 10.5, I used a Khomo back cover, and the Apple's Smart Cover. But there's a problem with this combo - if I wanted to insert a new 4G chip, I had to take the back case, and to do that it was hard, at the risk of breaking it, since it was tightly in place. There's a small crack in this Khomo back case from one of my attempts (which is not noticeable once we put the IPP 10.5 in it, again).

I did some research into what is the best frontal/back case for the M4.

One of the things I found out, putting aside the cost $$$$$$$$$$$, is that Apple's Smart Folio DOES NOT COVER the sides. This was not the case with my old combination for the 10.5.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iPadPro/comments/c22ibr
This Youtube video comments on that, after 1 minute and 28 seconds:

Another not favorable review:

So I went and looked into cheaper alternatives that did protect them. The problem is that while the Apple one is not bulky, the others are. I don't really need the case to be flexible, because I own tablet stands.

What I care about:

- That protects the sides;
- That I am able to insert a 4G/5G chip (if this new iPAD Pro M4 allows that), and it's possible to do this with ease, without breaking the case to detach it;

- It's lightweight and the magnets work, so it closes and wakes the iPAD;

- The fabric is similar to the Folio, so we can not be bothered by touching it.

P.S.

Skip to 2m12s, in this video, "ESR Gear Shift Magnetic Case For iPad Pro - Unboxing & Review" we can clearly see the added weight is too much.

Also, check this review with concerns about the product (taken from here):

UPDATE: 07/05/2024
While I’m not changing the review below or stars, ESR did a very nice job of responding to my review and offered a full refund as well as a free replacement offer for their magnetic removable paper like screen protector which I also gave a negative review of. It was a great customer service experience, but does not change my original opinions below. They do care about customers in my experience. My issues remain with the design and functionality of the “shift” case and cover. Thought this may help others out if they have issues. I have purchased several “Armorite” glass shields from them which are great and have interesting reviews on YouTube. They seem so be the most protective on the market and do do edge to edge. Otherwise, this case just didn’t meet my needs.

For artists, the ESR Shift seems to be the best for me until the new ZUGU ships. This review references a different case for comparisons, but I believe it is the best for the iPad until the other ships. I'm using an ESR temporarily for protection mostly. The ZUGU for the 13" seems to have a slight redesign where the little tab to open the flap is a tiny bit bigger for easier lifting and there seems to be an all around bumper on the perimeter of the case protecting it from bumps and drops. The ESR is easy to open but feels flimsy when opening and closing the cover flap. More on that below.

The ESR Shift series works for me for now as it has the multiple viewing angles with tough resistance so a user can press hard, draw or tap, without the iPad falling down.
However, cases like the ESR will bulk up the sleek and thin iPad, but I prefer this for resistance when drawing on it and for drops of course!

The awkwardness of the ESR case holding the iPad with only a magnet can cause the iPad to fall when adjusting the viewing angles. This is because the ability to use the iPad in portrait mode necessitates the design of the case and the device be two separate pieces. I suffered a drop from this!

Another concern is that of the surface of the ESR case isn't soft like the ZUGU and other cases' microfiber that lays flat onto the iPad screen. The ESR cover has a hard, vinyl surface that's easy to clean but not as soft as the microfiber lining of the past ZUGU cases. Artists use screen protectors for drawing resistance usually, but the hard leather-like surface of the inside of the flap seems like it would be abrasive on the glass of the iPad without a protector with the repetition of opening & closing the cover.

While the ESR shift cover provides sleep/wake functionality, it doesn't sit in an "inset" perimeter of the case and wobbles around, not always lining up or covering the screen properly, whereas the ZUGU always "falls" right into place because it has a raised bevel that the flap fits into.

Lastly, the HEAT. Other cases still offer ventilation for heavy use if your device is being used for long periods of time, especially when animating, preparing video, or streaming it. I haven't put the new 13" M4 under duress, but I'd like for it to be able to breathe when sitting up for long periods of time. The iPad is so thin, I still have concerns of how heat will dissipate. While you're using a 1TB model you have a slight advantage of being able to use all 10 cores of the M4 where lower storage devices can only use 9. There are tons of benchmarking vids that state this can't really be useful right now, but I foresee AI being able to use all 10 at some point with future iOS releases. The ESR has a full rubber cover that encases the iPad totally, so that's a worry for me with any heat that may need to be released from the iPad. For this reason I will use ZUGU when my pre-order ships.

I'm very meticulous when using accessories for the iPad as as I have invested heavily with the new 13" iPad 1TB Pro.

These are the things I've found and I hope they will help you and others when searching. Crazy how manufacturers seem to have been caught off guard by the new form factor. Not to solicit ZUGU again, but they did cite wanting to use the iPad in-hand for the new case design which I think is a pretty good advertisement that speaks to their quality commitment/QC. This could also be a strategic statement of course too though.

EDIT: I decided to go with the Smart Folio, from Apple. Received mine today. It's good for the intended purpose, which is to protect the device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.