Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I was pleased to see my Griffin PowerMate USB worked fine under the last OS, but under Ventura it seems not to recognize the device. Does anyone have a similar experience / advice on this? Thanks.

bp

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
There should be a version 3.1.0 from 2009 that I assume is the latest. Not saying it will work for you but it seems you were using an even older driver / app to begin with.

(I need to dig out my PowerMate to test it against Ventura; it was working in Monterey before I stored it away)

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
There should be a version 3.1.0 from 2009 that I assume is the latest. Not saying it will work for you but it seems you were using an even older driver / app to begin with.

(I need to dig out my PowerMate to test it against Ventura; it was working in Monterey before I stored it away)
Actually, it was just that my display's USB hub was frozen - power cycled it and it worked, my version of PowerMate.app works. I did download the version you spoke of, but I find I can't control the throbbing light in the same easy way as with the older version, so I'm sticking with that. Cheers.

bp

siddhartha

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Northern Virgina
Just a bit off-topic, but what do you use your powermate for? I just found mine randomly in a box, plugged it in, and installed the software. It's nice, but seemingly useless for me, other than quick volume control.

FatMac512User

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
Just a bit off-topic, but what do you use your powermate for? I just found mine randomly in a box, plugged it in, and installed the software. It's nice, but seemingly useless for me, other than quick volume control.
That's exactly it! It's dedicated play/pause volume control, freeing up my function key row to more useful software developer type things. I do find, if you put something on it... like maybe an 1881 US 20 dollar gold coin 🤣, the extra weight is much nicer. It sits just off to the side of my mouse, and... as i install my new Mac Studio, it's one of the first things I install... after Appcode 🥰 and unfortunatly XCode 🙃.

Oh, and 3.0 worked just fine with Ventura. If it were easier to source, that would be nice... as the Griffin sight finds "no results" when searching for "PowerMate".

Lighthousefamily

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
Hallo to all members of macrumors forum who are in this conversation about Powermate. This little Gadget doesn't work until last week before I have a crash with my HDD and before I must reinstall Ventura 13.1 and all datas with the migration tool. so far so good. But with a delay I recognized that my little Powermate doesn't work. Just as you wrote I downloaded Powermate Vers.3 but it doesn't work. Only If you push the knob and press "cmd" you can rotate open programs. No more. I use the Powermate especially for my SDR Application and my iTunes/Music Apps. Do you have any idea or step by step manual so that this little thing will work again? Thanks to you all in advance Matt
Sorry for bad acknowledgment in language and technical drills

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I just changed my main mac from an iMac 2017 to a Mac Studio and then the PowerMate stopped working. I thought finally it happens to me. At first it looked like an Apple Silicon incompatibility, but then I remembered it working on an M1 Air before, tried to plug it in the Air and it works. All macOS are Monterey latest update. The PowerMate software / driver is the same 3.1.0 installed across all Macs.

Then I figured out how, at least this is what worked for me:

Go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy
click the lower left lock icon to unlock, needs admin password
Find the PowerMate icon in both "Accessibility" and "Input Monitoring"
and this is important: trash them by clicking the "-" button, don't just uncheck the box (which just disables)
close everything, repair permissions with Disk Utility, restart your Mac
once back in, immediately launch the PowerMate app if it isn't already active
turn the knob a bit, it will pop-up a warning asking for permission with "Input Monitoring", do the usual grant
it will ask to relaunch the PowerMate app, let it
once back, turn the knob again and it will ask for "Accessibility" permissions, again grant

At this point my PowerMate is back adjusting volume. You can then start adding or modifying your old settings and scripts etc.

I believe the source of the issue is the system of mine was a Time Machine restore. Maybe without a proper fresh start up / enabling its granted system access permissions that was blocking it to trigger the system events.

P.S.: I got this everything working in Monterey, not sure about Ventura, but I imagine your issue was the same there.

Reactions: Lighthousefamily

Lighthousefamily

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
Hallo Chancha,

thanks a lot for your help and your instructions. I follow your instructions step by step....and it works.
I'm very happy that Powermate works again- Kindest regards from Germany Matt

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
I kept the old powermate installation files, currently unavailable, because the website no longer allows downloading the software for this product.
So if you need these files, I can send them.
Powermate 2 work well under Ventura.

Screenshot 2023-03-16 alle 18.53.38.png

Lighthousefamily

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
Hi Mark.g4

Thanks for your help. it's going pretty well at the moment. Sometimes when you restart the Mac you have to restart the process in the system settings, but then it works again. I can live with that. PS What does the logo to the right of the PowerMate button mean? Kind regards Matt

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Did they actually roll back the version number? Because I have a much older 3.1.0 app and it's either from 2009 or 2014; but judging by the icon and also some googling it seems this version 2.0.0b6 is from 2017?

FrankAms

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
I have the PowerMate for years and I love it.
Unfortunately, a couple of days ago, I lost the driver. Since having a problem with a macOS update I had to do a complete clean install of Big Sur.

Would be great if someone could help me out. Anyone who can send me the driver?

Very much appreciated.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Such a cool piece of hardware -- does anybody make something similar with more current software support? I'd be happy to have a dedicated volume control knob that doubles as a mute button for zoom calls and the like.

FrankAms

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
I kept the old powermate installation files, currently unavailable, because the website no longer allows downloading the software for this product.
So if you need these files, I can send them.
Powermate 2 work well under Ventura.

View attachment 2174672
Hi Matt, could you send me the installation files? Thanks, Frank

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
Hi Frank,

I'm out of town for work, otherwise I would have already sent you the file.
Surely there will be some other user, with the installation files, or other users have found the dmg on the internet.
I will be back home in early October.
If you haven't solved the problem by early October I will send you my installation files, don't worry.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I dug out 3 different version of the PowerMate app coming from different eras of supported OS X.

Apparently they rolled back the version number at some point, so 3.1 is actually older than 1.2.5....

I should add that in Monterey and Ventura, I actually got the oldest 3.1 working right away. So I stick to using this version without bothering with the newer ones.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 12.50.19.png

Attachments

• PowerMate_v2.0.0b6.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 202
  • PowerMate_v1.2.5.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 175
  • PowerMate_v3.1.0_3015.dmg_.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Thank you for posting those drivers and explaining the differences.

I also still have my old PowerMate and had been idly considering setting it up again, so now I'll definitely give it a try.

FrankAms

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023
Hi Frank,

I'm out of town for work, otherwise I would have already sent you the file.
Surely there will be some other user, with the installation files, or other users have found the dmg on the internet.
I will be back home in early October.
If you haven't solved the problem by early October I will send you my installation files, don't worry.
Hi Mark, if you have a spare moment to send me the Powermate installation files I would appreciate that very much. Best, Frank

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
There are 3 installation file in this message.
You can download free.

I dug out 3 different version of the PowerMate app coming from different eras of supported OS X.

Apparently they rolled back the version number at some point, so 3.1 is actually older than 1.2.5....

I should add that in Monterey and Ventura, I actually got the oldest 3.1 working right away. So I stick to using this version without bothering with the newer ones.

View attachment 2283404

Last edited:

FrankAms

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2023

View attachment 2283404
Great! 3.1 works immediately in Big Sur! Very Happy!

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Great! 3.1 works immediately in Big Sur! Very Happy!
Glad to help, great to see fellow PowerMate users still going strong after 20 years :) They don't make electronics like this anymore, great design, customizable functions, sturdy and durable.

I hope MR keeps these attachment files on their server for as long as they can, someone is going to google and can find them here.

pbchen

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2023

View attachment 2283404

Chancha, I downloaded the 2.0.0 version but Mac won't let me use the app because it can't check it for malicious software. Do you know how I can get around that? Thanks in advance!

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Chancha, I downloaded the 2.0.0 version but Mac won't let me use the app because it can't check it for malicious software. Do you know how I can get around that? Thanks in advance!
Launch it again, right after that warning pop up, go to system settings:
Privacy & Security > scroll down
it should appear near the bottom where the PowerMate app is listed, then a button next to it for you to choose "open anyway", or something to that effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.