Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Hey guys. Had a scary episode yesterday when I misplaced my wallet and thought for a time that it was stolen. Luckily it was just my mistake, but I was thinking I would like to invest something that let me track it, along with my backpack which goes everywhere with me, using something like this. Apparently out of Bluetooth range it can still let you know where it is via the Find My network? I was hoping someone had thoughts on or experience with this. Thank you!

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Find My devices do not use GPS.

I would read some of the other threads here to better understand the limitations of using find my to 'track' devices.

That said I would recommend one of the third party credit card sized Find My devices that can be recharged, like the one you linked.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I just upgraded my wallet to a Ridge wallet with an AirTag attached to it. It's still pretty slim. I wanted to use an AirTag because of the precision finding feature, where the iPhone guides/points you to its location. This feature has saved me several times when I have misplaced my keys in the past. There are other wallets out there that can hold an AirTag as well.

None of the 'Find My' cards have the precision finding feature. They can only tell you the general area where it is on the map. As the previous poster mentioned, make sure you understand how Find My works. For example, say you lost your wallet in a store, but someone's phone across the street picked up the beacon/signal; your wallet will appear to be across the street instead of its actual location. This can happen with AirTags too, but at least with an AirTag you can walk around the area to try to pick up the signal to point you to where it is.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I just upgraded my wallet to a Ridge wallet with an AirTag attached to it. It's still pretty slim. I wanted to use an AirTag because of the precision finding feature, where the iPhone guides/points you to its location. This feature has saved me several times when I have misplaced my keys in the past. There are other wallets out there that can hold an AirTag as well.

None of the 'Find My' cards have the precision finding feature. They can only tell you the general area where it is on the map. As the previous poster mentioned, make sure you understand how Find My works. For example, say you lost your wallet in a store, but someone's phone across the street picked up the beacon/signal; your wallet will appear to be across the street instead of its actual location. This can happen with AirTags too, but at least with an AirTag you can walk around the area to try to pick up the signal to point you to where it is.

Precision finding is great, but the cards are SO much thinner than an airtag. Not worth the bulk!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I've got the chipalo card. It also doesn't have precision finding, but the beeper is insanely loud, even in one of the inner pockets in my wallet it's still able to be heard for probably about the same distance that precision finding is usable. listing for the beep isn't as cool as precision finding, and there are some locations were it might not work due to ambient noise, but I'll gladly change that for a thinner device.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007

Thank you, but why would someone else's iPhone pick up the signal?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
AirTags and other find my devices send out a bluetooth ping every so often. Those are picked up by any apple devices in the area (phone, iPad, Macs). The receiving device then sends it's location (AirTags don't have GPS) and the unique ID from the AirTag to apple. Those IDs are randomly rotated so people can't stalk you by leaving out a bluetooth sniffer to watch for a specific serial they tied to you.

Your phone has probably already forwarded quite a few pings from other peoples AirTags without you even realizing.

it's why the find my network works so well, there are millions of receivers out there. Chances are no matter where you drop something, an iPhone will walk by fairly quickly.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
AirTags and other find my devices send out a bluetooth ping every so often. Those are picked up by any apple devices in the area (phone, iPad, Macs). The receiving device then sends it's location (AirTags don't have GPS) and the unique ID from the AirTag to apple. Those IDs are randomly rotated so people can't stalk you by leaving out a bluetooth sniffer to watch for a specific serial they tied to you.

Your phone has probably already forwarded quite a few pings from other peoples AirTags without you even realizing.

it's why the find my network works so well, there are millions of receivers out there. Chances are no matter where you drop something, an iPhone will walk by fairly quickly.
I was amazed at how well this worked with an AirTag in a checked bag on my last trip. I was able to follow the bag as it journeyed all the way to the sorting facility about half a mile away, then again as it traveled to my gate and was loaded on the aircraft. When I got onboard, Find My said that the AirTag was "with me", and I could relax knowing my bags were on the flight.

It's truly amazing how well it works, when you consider that it depends on other people's phones to function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.