Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
After hearing that Adobe have altered their Terms and conditions not once or twice, and the patronising of their customers, plus their expensive subscription model. I have decided to ditch Adobe. If they realise that they have Pi**ed off their customers with their ridiculous prices and subscription model I may come back.

Now I would like to have some ideas for replacements.

Mainly acrobat pro which I use for work. But I am looking for an alternative and also Adobe bridge.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I don't do much with Acrobat... I create pdf versions of things through the macOS print function... and use Preview for viewing pdfs.

However, I, too, have kicked Adobe to the curb. My issue is the ongoing subscription issue. I have switched to the Affinity suite (Photos, Designer and Publisher)...

I will let the experts offer their suggestions for an Acrobat replacement tool.

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
After hearing that Adobe have altered their Terms and conditions not once or twice, and the patronising of their customers, plus their expensive subscription model. I have decided to ditch Adobe. If they realise that they have Pi**ed off their customers with their ridiculous prices and subscription model I may come back.

Mainly acrobat pro which I use for work. But I am looking for an alternative and also Adobe bridge.
What specifically do you use Bridge for that you need in a replacement? Simply organizing photos and other assets? Do you want to leverage it for actual photo editing/adjustments (more like a Lightroom replacement)?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

Why say goodbye here (I don't believe that MacRumors has any affiliation with Adobe) ?

You should probably post this on the Adobe boards.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012

An Acrobat Pro alternative may be PDF Expert.

Reactions: ipaqrat and chama98

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
Why say goodbye here (I don't believe that MacRumors has any affiliation with Adobe) ?

You should probably post this on the Adobe boards.
No, the reason why I posted this on this board is to warn others of the terrible service I received and also hopefully say others some dollars when there is better software and good customer service then adobe.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
What specifically do you use Bridge for that you need in a replacement? Simply organizing photos and other assets? Do you want to leverage it for actual photo editing/adjustments (more like a Lightroom replacement)?
Stupid thing is I forgot that bridge is free to use. So will stick with that when I go through all the photos I do, etc.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Yeah, well, nothing is really free-free when the creative cloud base apps are installed, even to use "free" Bridge. Adobe is as crafty at tracking as any sneaky, snakey web sites, and not exactly best-in-class at announcing/fixing vulnerabilities. If you don't already, spend some time in Little Snitch making sure your IT security indicators (you DO have those, right?) are in the green. I still can't quit Lightroom, always like, okay, one more hit, last time, swear... So I have to live with CC.

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
Yeah, well, nothing is really free-free when the creative cloud base apps are installed, even to use "free" Bridge. Adobe is as crafty at tracking as any sneaky, snakey web sites, and not exactly best-in-class at announcing/fixing vulnerabilities. If you don't already, spend some time in Little Snitch making sure your IT security indicators (you DO have those, right?) are in the green. I still can't quit Lightroom, always like, okay, one more hit, last time, swear... So I have to live with CC.
I don't quite understand what you mean.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

"Goodbye Adobe!" makes it sound like you are addressing the post to Adobe when you are instead trying to notify forum members about problems you are having with Adobe.

I extremely doubt that Adobe will read the post (although it's possible). It's your post and title but I would probably called it something more reflective of the content in the post. It's my opinion only and others probably have different opinions (I generally dislike titles called "Goodbye xxx").

chama98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
London
"Goodbye Adobe!" makes it sound like you are addressing the post to Adobe when you are instead trying to notify forum members about problems you are having with Adobe.

I extremely doubt that Adobe will read the post (although it's possible). It's your post and title but I would probably called it something more reflective of the content in the post. It's my opinion only and others probably have different opinions (I generally dislike titles called "Goodbye xxx").
Ok. Thank you for your comment.

It was because I was annoyed with how adobe treat their customers like me. Like c**p.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
I don't quite understand what you mean.
Bridge is not a truly stand-alone app. Even after you ditch the costly Adobe apps, the Creative Cloud base applications still have to be installed and running, even just for Bridge. That consumes resources and presents a certain attack surface. Thus, not really free, like, "I'm free of their dastardly clutches!" free. Adobe still got ya. I'm not saying that should be a deal-breaker.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I use Lightroom mainly as a photo organiser as I do very edits these days. I like how it organises them into finder as well. There isn’t any alternatives is there really? Everything else are mainly just photo editors?

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
I use Lightroom mainly as a photo organiser as I do very edits these days. I like how it organises them into finder as well. There isn’t any alternatives is there really? Everything else are mainly just photo editors?

Apple Photos does a reasonable job of this surprisingly.

I was using it until recently where I inherited a large Lightroom collection. I'm not sure if I should go back to it or not. I can accomplish more by not taking crappy photos to start with than paying Adobe which feels monumentally dirty!

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Apple Photos does a reasonable job of this surprisingly.

I was using it until recently where I inherited a large Lightroom collection. I'm not sure if I should go back to it or not. I can accomplish more by not taking crappy photos to start with than paying Adobe which feels monumentally dirty!
Yeah i use apple photos daily but i just worry about the container corrupting or i cloud losing data. At least with adobe its all organised in finder..

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
im happy i have a DVD orig. copy of CS4 that still works today.
Affinity design is good, but too many tools and a real hassle to switch them.

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
Yeah i use apple photos daily but i just worry about the container corrupting or i cloud losing data. At least with adobe its all organised in finder..

I know what you mean there. I’ve not had any issues but I make sure that my photo library is synchronised fully to my Mac and I back it up onto two external disks and Amazon S3 just in case!

Reactions: JamesMay82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.