Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rachislenska

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Finally purchased an ipad Air m2 after a lot of thoughts. My main doubt was whether I actually need it with an m2 MacBook Air. Anyways I thought I would give it a try since the base model m2 air seemed too much value to pass.

Got it with the new pencil pro (Actually my first Apple Pencil as I didn’t buy a pencil with my old 10.5 pro). Pleasant surprise was Smart Keyboard Folio is compatible with the new m2 air. I had zero use with the expensive Magic Keyboard so I’m really happy.
coming from an old 10.5 pro this is a huge jump in every way. M2 feels snappy and I hope the battery life will be at least 50-60 % of m2 macbook air.
And I’m really surprised with all the criticism stage manager receives. I never use it on macbook but it’s very useful in an iPad, even a 11 inch One. I need to use the pencil more to see if it’s worth the extra cost.
overall I think the iPad nicely complements the macbook air.

prady2581

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2024
Finally purchased an ipad Air m2 after a lot of thoughts. My main doubt was whether I actually need it with an m2 MacBook Air. Anyways I thought I would give it a try since the base model m2 air seemed too much value to pass.

Got it with the new pencil pro (Actually my first Apple Pencil as I didn’t buy a pencil with my old 10.5 pro). Pleasant surprise was Smart Keyboard Folio is compatible with the new m2 air. I had zero use with the expensive Magic Keyboard so I’m really happy.
coming from an old 10.5 pro this is a huge jump in every way. M2 feels snappy and I hope the battery life will be at least 50-60 % of m2 macbook air.
And I’m really surprised with all the criticism stage manager receives. I never use it on macbook but it’s very useful in an iPad, even a 11 inch One. I need to use the pencil more to see if it’s worth the extra cost.
Hi Rachislenska, nice post, can you check and let me know if you are able to do video editing directly off the external SSD drive. My decision point to buy Ipad air M2 is based on this. Thanks.

locksmack

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Hi Rachislenska, nice post, can you check and let me know if you are able to do video editing directly off the external SSD drive. My decision point to buy Ipad air M2 is based on this. Thanks.
You certainly can. I do it on an iPad Mini using LumaFusion, though I believe DaVinci Resolve can do it too (and maybe Final Cut). If my iPad mini can do it, then the M2 Air definitely can.

Note however that the external SSD speeds won't be as fast as the Pro's due to it not supporting Thunderbolt. Should still be plenty fast enough though.

Reactions: prady2581

prady2581

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2024
You certainly can. I do it on an iPad Mini using LumaFusion, though I believe DaVinci Resolve can do it too (and maybe Final Cut). If my iPad mini can do it, then the M2 Air definitely can.

Note however that the external SSD speeds won't be as fast as the Pro's due to it not supporting Thunderbolt. Should still be plenty fast enough though.
Thanks for this info. I'll wait when you test and share your experience on M2 Air.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO

Good for you. I have a 4th Gen Air which feel no need to upgrade.

Reactions: russell_314

rachislenska

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
' I/IWhat do you use your iPad Air for?

I have an older 4th generation Air so no stage manager but I absolutely love it for watching movies and YouTube
well mostly basic tasks. but im surprised how convenient Smart Keyboard folio is and how good stage manager is on ipad now. So im planning to write my next journal article on my ipad

prady2581

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2024
If anyone can share their experience of video editing on iPad Air M2 (or previously on M1), particularly working directly off the external SSD or direct me to the correct post, I would appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.