Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funnnyfarm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Spokane Valley
I have a Macbook Air 2019. The hard drive is 121gb. I store everything on a external Samsung SSD 870 EVO hard drives. When I plugged it in the other day it would not boot. I went to Disk Utility, tried First Aid that failed. Then Mount, I got a error (com.apple.DiskManaged.dis enter error 49218).
I have Disk Dill software, I ran that on the SSD drive and at 231.18 gb it saved me everything on another external drive. 12,400 individual files. And in about 5 years I’ll have it all back. I would like to restore the disk but don’t know how to go about that. Any ideas, before I decide to erase it? Thanks funnnyfarm

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I think your description is saying that you have been using the Samsung to store all of your files, that IT would not boot and that you have since used a tool to recover all of the files that were stored on it to another drive.

If you are confident you have all of the files on that other drive, you can try erasing the Samsung and then maybe using it for a while with only a few files to see if it can handle some read/writes. You don't say how much you've used it but maybe you've worn it out? SSDs are fast... but they are not forever. Too many writes and they've had it.

You might want to use some tools to check the drive health of the SSD. Some can tell you about its condition and may warn you to replace drive. One simple one on Mac is Apple (menu), About this Mac, System Report... (button), Storage in left list, select the Samsung drive and see what it says next to S.M.A.R.T. Status:

• Verified implies drive is good,
  • Failing implies it is about to conk,
  • Failed means drive is unusable.
There are some paid apps that can sometimes offer a bit more than that, but the freebie showing either Failing or Failed may be enough. If either shows, buy yourself a new SSD and then copy the files from your backup drive back to the new drive to get things back to how you had them. The new one should be good for the next few years.

Even if you get a "verified," you might want to consider a new one anyway. If you purchased it in 2019 with the MBair and have been doing a lot of read/writes to it about every day since, 4 years is a pretty good while. It might have 4 or even 10 years left or it might be down to its last gasps. A new one will remove about 98% of any such doubt.

Bonus: now that you have experienced a near (data) loss, this is the time to fully embrace a proactive backup system. Apple's own (free) Time Machine is a very good option to turn on and use. It backs up any changed/new files about every hour your Mac is running. Be sure to get it or something similar going so that next time you don't have to lean on as much luck that Disk Dill can recover the files. What if it had failed to recover your files?

A proactive TM backup means that Disk Dill could fail and you could still get all of your files back. Key tip: don't make your TM backup live on the same "main" drive as your files. Ideally, it is a SEPARATE drive so that the main drive (or the TM drive) can fail and the other drive still has your files readily available.

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have Disk Dill software, I ran that on the SSD drive and at 231.18 gb it saved me everything on another external drive. 12,400 individual files. And in about 5 years I’ll have it all back. I would like to restore the disk but don’t know how to go about that. Any ideas, before I decide to erase it? Thanks funnnyfarm

Unless you have a backup on another system there’s no guarantee you will get anything back.

Drives can and do fail, sometimes irrecoverably. SSDs especially. With hard drives mechanical failure happens and the data is usually still in tact on the drive platter. With SSDs, the cells can wear out/fail and then they’re sometimes difficult if not impossible to recover.

To clarify your predicament:
  • were you booting from the external drive and using it as a system disk? or were you manually saving files to it
  • do you run any backup software
  • was the external drive included in said backups?
Unless i am misunderstanding - and you actually already have the data recovered and you want to put it back on the original SSD? Don’t do that. once a disk is failed once - toss it.

Reactions: arkitect and haddy

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Got to say it:

This is what BACKUPS are for.

If you had a backup of the external drive (created with either SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner), you would have an EXACT COPY of your source drive. "Recovery" would have been easy.

Now it isn't.

Go forth from this day and learn ... a sadder, but wiser user.

jotzet

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2020
I have a Macbook Air 2019. The hard drive is 121gb. I store everything on a external Samsung SSD 870 EVO hard drives. When I plugged it in the other day it would not boot. I went to Disk Utility, tried First Aid that failed. Then Mount, I got a error (com.apple.DiskManaged.dis enter error 49218).
May I ask how you connected the external drive to your mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.