Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomacwhite

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
England
I'd like to create a bootable USB drive to install Catalina on a 2012 Mac Mini, but I am unable to download it on my MacBook Air M1 as it's obviously an old OS. Even using links that take you to the App Store where it's stored won't allow a download of the image.

Any other solutions out there? I am sure years ago on Mountain Lion, I was able to download it direct from Apples site, but I am guessing they don't offer this ability any more.

tomacwhite

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2009
England
I may have found the solution myself, with a bit more work (but it's at least official).
Download from here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/102662

I could get Sierra (the last direct-downloadable OS), then upgrade to Catalina from there once the 2012 Mac mini is up and running.I am not sure if I could skip High Sierra and Mojave and jump straight to Catalina, or if I need to do each one? Anyone know for sure?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Anyone know for sure?
Download open source Mist app. You can create a Catalina USB bootable installer directly from the app.

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.