Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Having acquired a U2 with Trail Loop to replace my S3 with Sport Loop (still kickin', albeit slowly), I've noticed that Apple has flip-flopped in how they orient the bands between the two situations.

Instead of positioning the pass-through buckle on the bottom lug, as on the Sport Loops, they've reversed it and put it on the top lug with the Trail Loop. It does seem a bit off to pull "up" and not "down" to tighten the strap after being accustomed to the latter for so many years with the Sport Loop.

In the pragmatic sense, it can be installed and works either way, with not only these two types, but most of the others, and certainly the symmetrical elastic bands, but it still piqued my curiosity.

With the Trail Loop, I suspect the protruding pull tab may have played a role in prompting the reversal, but that's just a guess.

I also suspect that most users don't notice or care how they install their bands.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008

True. While in the rabbit hole looking for new bands for a new watch, have noticed that a good portion of users don't, even those who do reviews.

One just has to hope that such (lack of) attention to detail doesn't extend to the A&P who worked on the plane you might be flying on, or the surgeon who will perform the operation you might need.

However, that said, I will go on record to being a scofflaw myself, and have reversed my orientation of the Trail Loop to match that of the Sport Loop*. Too much muscle memory involved, and the motion of adjusting and securing the band is much more natural to me. Having the pull tab and closed end loop on the opposite side facing away also results in a cleaner look from the user POV.

* except in water sports usage, where Apple suggests a reversal, to mitigate the risk of unintended detachment, which is presumably why the standard TL orientation is the opposite, being aimed at manly men who dive into rivers to fight Grizzlies for their salmon catch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.